Every Monday, we will be compiling a poll of local media members to rank the top 10 boys and girls basketball teams in San Francisco. Feel free to make your own rankings and discuss ours in the comment section. Voters include SanFranPreps.com staff, Mitch Stephens from SFGate.com and Maxpreps.com, Dylan Kruse from the San Francisco Examiner and Lee Hubbard from NorCalPreps.com
1. St. Ignatius (7-1, last week’s ranking: 1)
The Wildcats removed any doubt that they’re the top team in the City and got every first-place vote this week, after a double-digit win over Lowell in their only game last week.
2. Sacred Heart Cathedral (7-3, last week’s ranking: 3)
After dropping to the third spot last week, the Irish have rattled off four consecutive victories. They began the week knocking off Hercules (5-3) and host Drake (5-2) to win the Anne Scott Holiday Classic, then pounded Washington.
3. Lowell (10-2, last week’s ranking: 2)
The Cardinals fell to St. Ignatius to start the week, but rebounded with a double-digit win over Menlo-Atherton (1-5) later in the week.
4. Mercy (8-1, last week’s ranking: 4)
No games for the Skippers this week and they hold on to the No. 4 spot.
5. Bay (6-3, last week’s ranking: 6)
The Breakers move up a spot even though they didn’t play last week.
6. Washington (6-4, last week’s ranking: 5)
The Eagles drop a slot after a disheartening 24-point loss to Sacred Heart Cathedral last week.
7. Convent (3-6, last week’s ranking: 10)
We questioned the Cubs last week and the responded with force, pounding Galileo 71-18 in their only game last week, knocking the Lions out of the Top 10.
8. University (3-4, last week’s ranking: 8)
The Red Devils didn’t play last week and hold on to the eighth spot.
9. Lincoln (3-3, last week’s ranking: 9)
The Mustangs hold on to the ninth spot after their second week of inactivity.
10. Wallenberg (4-4, last week’s ranking: NR)
The Bulldogs squeak back into the Top 10 after a dominating win on the road against Oceana pulled them back to .500.
Also receiving votes: International (5-2), Galileo (4-3), Lick-Wilmerding (3-5) and Mission (2-4).