Baseball: Lowell knocks defending champ Galileo out of playoff race

By Bonta Hill

There will be a new champion crowned in the Academic Athletic Association on May 12 at AT&T Park.

On Wednesday at the Moscone Rec Center, defending champion Galileo Academy was eliminated from postseason contention with a 5-1 loss to Lowell High School.

With the win, Lowell (17-8-1, 11-1) clinches a first-round bye in the AAA playoffs, and Galileo’s (8-8, 7-6) loss gives the final playoff spot in the A Division to Lincoln.

Lowell junior starting pitcher Nick Tam threw a complete game, allowing only three hits while striking out five, and the Cardinals took advantage of three Galileo errors in the top of the fifth inning to score three runs.

Galileo head coach Don Papa admitted after the game that he needed to work harder for his young team, but noted that a mediocre offense was too much to overcome this season.

“We’ve had a tough year,” Papa said. “The seniors are really wonderful kids, but we didn’t have much hitting. We lost too many close games and it bit us. After making the playoffs for the past 14, 15 years, this is a little humbling, but I didn’t do the best job I can do and this will teach me things that I need to work on.”

Tam and his teammates showed no sympathy, as they’ve had this game circled on their calendar all season long, after Galileo knocked them out of last year’s AAA playoffs.

After giving up a run on a bloop single from outfielder Kyle Wilson that scored senior Dustin Andrick in the first inning, Tam settled in and dominated the overmatched Galileo offense.

At one point Tam sat down 11 Lions in a row, and the Galileo offense rarely sent a ball into the outfield.

“You don’t have to pitch the hardest to get guys out,” Tam said. “I kind of got tired towards the end of the game, but I battled through it.”

Andrick, who pitched his last game for Galileo, kept the Lions in the game by escaping trouble through the first four innings with timely pitches, but going into the top of the fifth down 2-1, Galileo’s defense doomed them.

After Lowell right fielder Andy Glickfeld opened the inning with a double to left field, Andrick got three of the next four Cardinals batters to hit ground balls at Galileo infielders, but each was botched with an errant throw.

Andrick then approached the Lowell batter on deck and was ejected after a heated exchange of words.

“[Dustin] was a little frustrated over the errors that would have got us out of the inning, and the players can make those plays,” Papa said. “We tried to guide the ball instead of just throwing it. I feel bad for Dustin because he’s a senior and today was his last game instead of tomorrow.”

For Lowell, they have another date with Galileo on Thursday before Friday’s showdown against undefeated Washington.

“Nick Tam has done a fantastic job for us all season and this is a game we wanted, because Galileo eliminated us from the playoffs last year,” Donohue said. “I tell you though, Galileo has a good team and they have a lot of spirit behind them, but I’m proud of the fact that we’ve been able to win 11 out of the last 12 games.”

Scoring Summary

First Inning
L – Lowell run
G – Kyle Wilson singles, Dustin Andrick scores

Fourth Inning
L – Oscar Gates-Kent singles, Nick Magyari scores

Fifth Inning
L – Magyari reaches on an error, Andy Glickfeld scores
L – Michael Sera reaches on an error, Aaron Leong and Charles Nguyen score

1. The Other Jack says:

I’d like to point out that It’s one thing to get loud through chants/yells to encourage your teammates from the dugout, but yelling or “chirping” (yes, I’m calling you out #38) the most random words/noises NOTHING RELEVANT TO THE GAME WHEN THEY ARE AT THE PLATE is just disgustingly unsportsmanlike. It just shows the immaturity of BOTH the team and coaches that actually allow this to happen. This is not only at the Varsity level, but the JV level as well for the Lowell squad these past couple years. The last I checked, this is a high school league, not some 12-year old cocky league.

Let’s take a look at softball games. They have the whole team chanting and screaming their lungs out. Really annoying for the opposing team? Yeah. But at least all their chants are relevant to on-field action and rooting on their teammates.

Will we ever see Lowell stop being immature brats in the dugout? No. That’s just how their taught to be because its simply “legal” in the rulebook to do so. If they are proud of their actions, then I can only SMH and glad I’m not associated with them. In a nut shell, its one thing to be loud, annoying, and classy about it, but an entirely different story when it comes to nasty, irrelevant noises coming out of their mouths constantly.

The only question I have for jbalan or any follower is: Do they display the same actions in the dugout against the B division teams or high-class non-league teams?

I didn’t see them play any B Division teams, but I did see them play against SSF and A Division opponents…

Maybe I’m missing something here, but haven’t really noticed the chanting at all, other than just the chatter that is normal at any baseball/softball game…

I can’t speak to the type of stuff that was going on in this specific game, but the chanting they do has never struck me as taunting when I’ve seen them…

• The Other Jack says:

Mmm. Its not really a taunt or else its grounds to ejection. It’s just unsportsmanlike and irrelevant noises and sounds made during the game. You’ll just hear encouragement to the batter (which is fine), then all of a sudden you’ll hear words like “wikipedia” and the brat chirping like a bird.

If you haven’t really noticed it, then maybe keep an ear out for on it next time. Err..I take that back. You rather not hear it. Kudos for having the mental ability of blocking out such idiotic noises when covering stories.

I promise you that this is not a one isolated incident. Its at both varsity level and the JV level. This must have been taught by coaches who are definitely second-rate. No other explanation.

• Anonymous says:

At the game today, that Dustin should not have been at in the first place, he was talking trash and was warned to not talk by the umpire. He then moved behind the Lowell dugout in the stands and talked trash from there. He does more of this stuff than the rest of the league combined. Ask any of the umpires

• soccer mom says:

what i learned from these games:

1. the apple does not fall far from the tree. dad in the stands behind home-plate (i assume ‘the other jack,’ or related, if not to him, then to our talented, but clearly-in-need-of-help, gal pitcher) making loud, snide remarks to opposing players…nice. that was a first for me.

2. two wrongs do make a right….because of irrelevant chirping, it’s okay for pitcher to go berserk, which makes it okay for ‘the other jack’ to “single out’ a player. nice, mature, sportsmanlike conduct. thanks, dad. and all of this makes it okay, excusable, for one gal player to run through stands the next day. frustrated, yes, sure. coach, parents, where are you???

i do feel very sorry for that pitcher: he’s clearly talented, but god, where were the adults in his life wednesday and thursday afternoon? right there! and how did they support him…?

dad, coach papa: it’s not too late. it’s never too late for us to grow up. this can be a teachable moment. for all of us.

teach our children well.

• Dustin Andrick says:

Thanks soccer mom. I’ll be there today also.

• Anonymous says:

I played against Dustin this year and from the little I talked to him, it seemed that he was a good guy. Of course he shouldn’t have responded to the chirping, but after playing against Lowell, I understand where he was coming from. Maybe you should pay a little more attention to the “irrelevant” chirping and try to imagine how hard it would be to drive your kids to school with it in your ears.

• Anonymous says:

Dear Soccer Mom and all other Haters,
        I don’t believe Dustin went berserk, he dealt with what he thought was unfair (and as you so lightly refer to as irrelevant noises) and bad sportsmanship. Just like the people with the uncontrollable noise making condition (which you are probably related or friends with). I don’t agree with the method he used, but I don’t think he went berserk or needs therapy, he just didn’t use what you thought was an appropriate method and he isn’t your age so he will sometimes make mistakes, he should he’s young. What I think is sad, is when people your age judge young people his age and want to write then off or give up on them by saying “white privilege things like” he’s psycho, he needs therapy, he went berserk, what’s wrong with his parents, or he has anger issue. He should have let the adults handle it, oh I forgot the refs and coach weren’t doing anything to stop it so unfortunately he had to deal with it himself and chose to do it in an immature way. Don’t write Dustin off he’s a great human being with a big heart and has done a ton of community service hours at food banks and soup kitchens through out San Francisco and has helped hundreds of people who find themselves in need of help from those who are willing.
        1. Soccer mon: you have to much time on your hands, GET A JOB
        2. Anonymous: is it really that much fun to beat up on young men via the computer? Hmmmm what does that say about you?

One more thing Haters Gonna Hate!!!

• baseball fan says:

Please include Lowell coaches and parents in your plea to teach our children well…if they had “taught their children well” then that pitcher would have had no reason to react…it is so sad that those kids don’t have ethical guidance and feel the need to taunt the other team in order to win a game

2. Anonymous says:

Dustin Andricks is immature and needs to see a psychiatrist. Galileo sucks.

• Anonymous says:

Honestly I feel bad for his teammates. He talks more trash on the field and in the stands than anyone I have ever seen and become violent when someone annoys him. The annoying kid deserves a medal for ending Andricks career.

• Anonymous says:

Tell us Grandpa, did you ever play college ball?
        No kid, I didn’t.
        Why not, we heard you were great in high school?
        Well, the problem was the scouting report. They figured out that when I heard chirping sounds I lost all control, ran off the mound, and started screaming profanities at the opposing team.

Oh, okay Grandpa.

• Sean Mathews says:

Him yelling made me concentrate on the game more, he made us keep our head in the game and to not give up.

3. Gal fan says:

You can sit behind your computer and type all this crap anonymous but if you were in the same situation you would be pissed as hell or you might have been one of the many lowell players chirping like dead animals yourself

• Wash House says:

lowell does chirp anoyingly. Everyone judges Andrick so harshly, when quite frankly he is the best pitcher in the aaa. If he had a team to support him, he would no diubt win pitcher of the year over Tam and Arnold.

• Anonymous says:

I’ve never heard a dead animal chirp.

• Anonymous says:

normal baseball players don’t try to fight other baseball players that they find annoying. This is inexcusable and this is the second year in a row that this fool Dustin has gone psycho at a baseball game.

4. Anonymous says:

it’s all about staying composed. athletes put their heart and soul into games. i don’t understand trash talking. if you spend so much time and effort on the sport you love, why throw it and the respect and camaraderie that comes with it away?

5. Gal fan says:

Lol anonymous that was out of frustration you realize that right???? They got him ejected the game before and after he was in the dugout the next game Lowell still made these chirping noises towards the pitcher for Galileo

6. Dustin Andrick says:

I appreciate everyone for their lovely comments. Thank you to the people who support me and thank you to the people who don’t. You’re all welcome to criticize me whenever you want. Will you say it to me in person when you see me today at the game against wash? I hardly doubt it. It’s not that I want to fight because that’s not in my nature, but it would be nice to hear a physical voice say these words to me instead of a Times New Roman font. You’re all going to judge, but I know who I am and you don’t.

7. Mark Huynh says:

Dustin is a great student at Galileo. He is a part of our journalism department and has a great heart for sports. He is the editor for our sports section. He is fair in his approach to his work and always puts others first.

He will make a great coach one day if he doesn’t end up playing baseball somewhere. And I hope that when he coaches, he will be successful in helping the youth enjoy the game and also be a positive role model for them.

He can also be a great journalist if he chooses to be. His passion for what he focuses on is incredible.

He is a valued student at Galileo and we love him, even when his passion gets the best of him in heated moments. I don’t think he meant to play baseball this season but I was glad that he did play in his senior year. I had always wish that I’d get the opportunity to coach him these four years but working with him on layouts and newspaper related things is just as good.

8. corrections says:

Kyle Nelsen not Wilson
    Wash knocked Lowell out of playoff last year not Galileo. see maxprep to validate…. Wash 8-5

9. Dustin Andrick says:

Thank you to everyone that’s shown support to me despite my actions. Things could’ve been dealt with a little better, but in no way to I regret my decision and my outburst. My actions do not reflect how my parents raised me. If anything, my parents shouldn’t be brought into this topic. That’s wrong how people will make assumptions about my parents because of my actions. I shouldn’t have to justify my character, but comments about my parents make this very personal.

• Anonymous says:

That is a very fair point Dustin.
      The comments here should be about what happens during the game.
      Although I disagree very strongly with how things were handled at the Gal/Lowell game, there is no need to bring family, speculation about someone’s mental stability, and especially the ‘white privilege’ line of attack. This is not the place for that.

Best of luck to you in the future

• soccer mom says:

and the point is well taken. thank you, dustin. i wish i could take by my inappropriate comment. i am humbled and i apologize – to you and to your family, who clearly did teach you very well, because your comments here show tremendous maturity and sportsmanship. thank you for teaching me.

• Dustin Andrick says:

Thank you anonymous. I have bright plans for the future and nobody really knows how far I’m going in life unless they know me, so thank you soccer mom for wishing to retract your previous statement and your assumptions.

• SFA all the way says:

I’ve never played with someone in any sport who wants to win game in and game out more than Dustin. The AAA sees these sort of scuffles in basketball all the time but because they are quicker and less pronounced no one comments on them. But that is not the point. I wouldn’t be the player or person I am today if I had never met or played with Dustin. I played with him in little league, back when all we cared about was baseball and each other and those memories, mostly thanks to Dustin, are things I will never forget. I don’t defend his actions but I know this is not a true reflection of who he is.

10. Sean Mathews says:

Dustin’s a good guy, the sounds from the Lowell team were really annoying. I understand why he got upset, and the sounds were really unsportsmanlike. It pissed us all off, it sounded like a dinosaur or something.

11. Anonymous says:

I respect and idolize Dustin Andrick for what he did..He was the newest member added to mix team.