Baseball: Washington sweeps top honors on All-AAA team

Selections made by Academic Athletic Association coaches, not staff.

AAA Player of the Year: Dane Vande Guchte, junior pitcher/shortstop, Washington

Washington junior Dane Vande Guchte slides in for a run, while Galileo catcher Rafael Vergara tracks down an errant throw on April 14 at Big Rec. (Photo by Devin Chen)

AAA Pitcher of the Year: Chris Hau, sophomore, Washington

Washington sophomore starting pitcher Chris Hau sets to send a pitch toward the plate against Galileo on April 14 at Big Rec. (Photo by Devin Chen)

First Team

Michael Sera, senior outfielder, Lowell
Christian Suarez, senior infielder, Washington
Thomas Tomioka, senior infielder, Washington
Josh Vaughan, sophomore infielder, Lowell
Jonathan Woo, freshman, Wallenberg
Steven Zhuo, senior pitcher/infielder, Mission

If you enjoyed this post, please consider making a donation to Help Keep Alive!

(Photo Illustration by Josh Jalil)

1. Anonymous says:

Wait, is Paul Duchene from Wash not even a honorable mention? I am an AAA alumnus, but I find it weird that Paul didn’t even get honorable mention…

2. Anonymous says:

how do they base the “team” selections and honorable mentions? i was never really sure…

3. Anonymous says:

I know I see a lot of teams, but where’s Lincoln players? I believe that they also have players deserving this list!

4. AAA fan says:

Wow surprised that Dustin Andrick, Paul Duchene, or even the two Lincoln starting pitchers didn’t make honorable mention. Just shows that these all league teams don’t mean anything.

5. So dumb says:

I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again. The AAA all league teams are a fraud. What should be great honors for student athletes are ruined by idiotic coache’s lazyness, vendettas and politics. Shame on them.

6. Anonymous says:

Where are the other schools at???? And how the hell did duchene, andrick, ganal, and loeza not make this list?

7. Anonymous says:

LIncoln’s coach didn’t show up to the meeting, while Dustin was left off because of his ejection against Lowell. Neither are fair, but I wanted to put it out there before everybody calls the all league team “fraud”

• So dumb says:

The absence of Lincoln players makes it a fraud. Same with the absence of Andrick and Duchene. Why does the Lincoln coach need to be at the meeting for the players to be picked? The other coaches played them, didn’t they? Instead of just leaving Lincoln off the list maybe they should step up and do what’s right.

Shame on the Lincoln coach too for not showing up.

• Anonymous says:

um, duchene is on 1st team, not sure why everyone keeps sayin he was left off

Again… See my comment below…

Paul Duchene was not on the original list given to us, but was always on the first team… It is updated now…

8. Sesh1 says:

Andrick was strpped of his all city votes due to his encounter with lowell. Ganal just didnt make it and Loeza aka C-LO (green) was robbed. Also robbed was CJ WONG for POY…..

• Young smackers says:

Quite right you are sir sesh. What great talent left off this list. Such a shame such a shame

9. annonymous says:

does everyone get on a all league team in AAA

10. The Other Jack says:

This tells me that Burton, Mission, and Wallenberg had more talent than Galileo and Lincoln combined.Far from the truth, coming from a player who played this season. Not to knock on the “B” Division, but honors should be selection on an even playing field and disregarding the team he plays for. Grats to the players selected nonetheless.

Maybe we should switch the playoff system and give the “A” division two spots & the “B” division four spots though. It would be more interesting.

11. Dustin Andrick says:

Yes I was stripped because of the incident with Lowell. It’s a bummer, but that’s life.

If you all could please help me out by signing my petition to push for a stricter code of conduct in the AAA, that’d be awesome.

• Dustin Andrick says:

And I definitely feel Paul Duchene should be first team if anything. His performance in the championship game definitely solidified his skills as a team player.

• just a fan says:

Hey all, unless I’m seeing things, I believe Paul Duchene’s is listed on the first team – fourth name on the list above.

See my comment below…

• Anonymous says:

If you strongly felt this way, you would have not acted in an obnoxious manner the follwing game.

Practice what you preach.

• agreed says:

I completely concur your behavior at the 2nd Gal v. Lowell game while in the stands after already having been kicked out was atrocious. All that yelling to yourself and running around left many parents feeling scared and confused. Here is a section of the rulebook that you said Lowell violated
        “everyone involved in competition including parents, spectators, associated study body leaders, and all auxiliary groups have a duty to honor the traditions of the sport and to treat other participants with respect.”
        You broke this rule to a much greater extent with your bleacher antics then anyone in the Lowell dugout did.

• Anonymous says:

Anyone would have don that to the lowell team. That’s why balboa wipedthe floor with them

• agreed says:

*done, *wiped the. its apparent based on your spelling you were rejected from Lowell, and obviously bitter.

• Dustin Andrick says:

If you read the petition it clearly states that I take full responsibility for my actions and that if I were playing again and I were to do it again, I’d like to be punished for acting the way I did. I did not break any rules to any greater extent. It’s all equal to me. Either you sign it or you don’t, that’s all I’m saying. If you believe in it, sign it. If not, don’t.

• Anonymous says:

The petition only says that you take responsibility of your actions in the game you were ejected. It does not address your actions in the second game. I do agree that the league should perhaps have umpires issue warnings or do whatever may be necessary if such a situation arises. However, it is kind of difficult to sign a petition for a player that doesn’t follow its ideals. A little ironic in fact. Anyways, the point you bring to the table is a good one, the league needs to be aware of distractions that may occur during a game and discuss a criteria for this. It’s good you bring this up.

12. Jacob G says:

People were only being that loud because you and your fan(the adult who was ridiculing lowell players) were being obnoxious. I felt bad that you couldn’t play in your last game but then you started being obnoxious in the stands. This nonsense is like if Pete Rose made a petition to stop people from betting on baseball

13. AAA fan says:

Lowell players are absolutely obnoxious. Nuff said

14. Anonymous says:

congrats to all the all league selections. also to the 2 Washington players for player and pitcher of the year. Is that back to back years for Washingtion to have the pitcher of the year selection?

15. Coach Peter says:

Congratulations to Alex Arnold, Great Job! And to those who have no idea how the selections are made, coaches meet at the end of the season to lobby for their kids to make the All-League team. Every coach have favorites and least favorite kids on their squad, and will push harder for some, and not as much for others. For a coach not to show up and represent just shows the commitment of that coach to their program.

16. jbalan says:

17. Anonymous says:

Did the Lincoln coach not show up to the meeting for some reason? I mean, was there a conflict between him and the other coaches, or he just couldn’t make it? I find it hard to believe there are no Lincoln players. Even if their coach couldn’t make it to the meeting, he should have been able to send someone to represent him.

Somewhat surprised Aumen Holliday of Marshall wasn’t selected to at least honorable mention considering he was featured many times on this website. I know he’s only a sophomore, so I’m sure he will make the list next year, unless — of course — he has a horrible year.

19. Anonymous says:

will you guys make an all-city baseball team?

20. Anonymous says: