SanFranPreps.com Girls Basketball Top 10: Not much movement for top teams

The Mercy Dolphin may be shocked that the Skippers aren't the City's top team, but we still need to see more before we move them to the top spot. (Photo by Eric Luis)

Every week, we will be publishing our take on the top 10 boys and girls basketball teams in San Francisco. Feel free to make your own rankings and discuss ours in the comment section.

1. St. Ignatius (10-2, last week’s ranking: 1)

The Wildcats had their worst loss of the season on the road against Mitty (9-4), but started the week with a win over Burlingame (6-8) and will hold on to the top spot for another week.

2. Mercy (14-0, last week’s ranking: 2)

Fans of the Skippers have been very vocal in their desire to be atop our list, but we need to see them beat more quality opponents. Their win over Mercy-Burlingame (5-8) last week does not fall into that category, but the Skippers will have plenty of opportunities in West Bay Athletic League play, which begins this week.

3. Lowell (12-4, last week’s ranking: 3)

The Cardinals have looked every bit like the class of the AAA with wins over No. 7 Galileo and Burton (3-10) to kick off league play last week.

4. Sacred Heart Cathedral (7-6, last week’s ranking: 4)

After a bumpy start to the season, the Irish are above .500 for the first time after 20-point wins in their first two West Catholic Athletic League games over Notre Dame-Belmont (9-4) and Presentation (9-5) last week.

5. University (12-1, last week’s ranking: 5)

The Red Devils weren’t challenged last week in two non-league wins over Athenian (4-8) and Waldorf (4-9), but will have the best record heading into BCL West play.

6. Washington (9-5, last week’s ranking: 6)

Lowell is undoubtedly the favorite in the AAA, but the Eagles aren’t far off. Washington kicked off their AAA season with a blowout of Balboa (1-8) last week and followed that up with a non-league win over Half Moon Bay (6-7) over the weekend.

7. Galileo (9-5, ranking last week: 7)

The Lions lost their only game of the week to No. 3 Lowell, but are still one of the few teams who can challenge the Cardinals in the AAA race.

8. International (6-5, last week’s ranking 9)

The Jaguars started BCL Central play impressively last week, taking down defending champ Bay (4-8) and Waldorf by a combined score of 124-46.

9. Convent (5-6, last week’s ranking: 8)

The Cubs didn’t play a game last week, but they are the only team to drop a spot this week. We’ll get a better gauge of where Convent stands when BCL West play kicks off this week.

10. Urban (10-4, last week’s ranking: 10)

The Blues wrapped up an impressive non-league slate with a win over Oakland Military Institute (4-9) last week.

On the brink: Drew (9-2), Lincoln (5-10), Lick-Wilmerding (4-6).

1. Paul B. says:

I can’t believe it!!! Mercy got robbed again of the top spot.

• Anonymous says:

Seroiulsy? Name one quality opponent they have played? It comes down to beating tough qaulity teams to prove your metal, not winning againts teams that are not that good. Anyone can do that..

• Anonymous says:

If you compare strength of schedule for Mercy and SI, 3.1 for Mercy and 25.9 for SI. Look it up in cal preps Freeman ratings. Mercy needs to play quality teams to move up. Lowell has 27.7.

3.1 in strength of schedule? LOL. I think they need to need to schedule more quality opponents? What is Mercy’s biggest win? The little sisters of the poor?

• Anonymous says:

Compare the rankings at Maxpreps.com

• Sparky says:

Mercy beat most teams by an average of 30 + points. Eastside College Prep is a very godd team Mercy Beat by 17 points last night. NIce rude comments again JJ !

• WHO ME says:

@SPARKY.EAST PREP IS NOT GOOD ANYMORE LIKE THE LAST PASS YEARS.NOT TRYING TO HURT ANY ONE FEELIN.BUT EVERY ONE IS BEATIN THEM.THEY LOST ALL THERE GOOD PLAYER.CAUSE EAST SIDE PREP USED TO BE RAW.RUNNIN EVERYONE BY 30. SO IF MERCY TAKE IT ALL THE WAY,THEY CAN MOVE UP TO A BETTER DIV,N PLAY TEAM WITH MORE TALENT N SKILLS.CAUSE THERE DIV IS A LIL WEAK..MERCY GIRLS R DOIN GOOD THOU..MY THOUGHT ALL SHCOOL N THE GIRLS N BOYS TEAMES R PLAYING HARD . I DON’T LIKE PUTTIN KIDS DOWN .THE KIDS IS TRYING THEIR BEST. I WISH U PARENT THAT’S LEAVIN THESE BAD COMMENT GET A LIFE.CAUSE THESE KIDS DON’T NEED THIS.INSTEAD OF PUTTIN THEM DOWN .U NEED TO LIFT THEM UP WITH GOOD WORD. THE WORLD IS ALREADY COLD.U SHOULDN’T DO THAT TO THE KIDS..HAVE A BLESS DAY!!!!

But slamming the Eastside Prep team is OK?

• WHO ME says:

@JBALAN I’M NOT THOU..I’M JUST KEEPIN IT REAL.EASTSIDE PREP USED TO BE RAW.IT’S ALOT OF SCHOOL THAT USED TO BE RAW.I’M NOT TALKIN ABOUT THEM R PUTTIN THEM DOWN.THEY JUST DON’T HAVE THE TEAM THEY USED HAVE,LIKE I SAID ALL THE KIDS R TRYIN THEY BEST.SO I WIS U DIN’T MIX MY WORDSUP.. THANK U VERY MUCH!!N HAVE A BLESS DAY..

• WHO ME says:

ONCE AGAIN I’M TYPIN TO FAST I MEANT TO SAY.SO I WISH U DON’T MIX UP MY WORDS ..

• Kezar for Keeps says:

Unfortunately, you are making it easy for us to mix your words up. And your caps make my eyes hurt.

• WHO ME says:

@KEZAR.GET A LIFE N A REAL JOB.SO IF UR EYE HURT GET SOME GLASSES STUDIP!!CAUSE I CAN TELL U R ONE OF THEM TYPE OF PERSON THAT LIKE TO PUT PPL DOWN. N SWITCH U THERE WORDS,LIKE I SAID, DON’T MIX UP MY WORDS CAUSE I DON’T PUT KIDS DOWN.I LOVE THE KIDS!!PS EVERYTIMES I LEAVE A COMMENT I’M GOIN TO LEAVE THE CAP ON SO GET USED TO IT!! N YOUR NOT FUNNY.

• Kezar for Keeps says:

I was just called “stupid” by a person who spelled “stupid” wrong.

• WHO ME says:

I WAS TYPIN TO I MEANT TO SAY SCHOOL. I MIS SPELL IT!! MY BAD!!

• Anonymous says:

Kezar…..this was the best post in the history of SFP!

• Desiree says:

This is the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen.

This makes being a HS Basketball fan look bad.

Uneducated, ignorant people posting whatever their first thoughts are…..DISGUSTING!!!!

Have some respect for everybody & especially yourselves. I can’t believe this page even let these posts go through!

2. Anonymous says:

Correction Lowell has 15.1 .

3. Maureen Blanc says:

Stay strong Urban! Go Blues!

4. Anonymous says:

Funny JJ, did you steal that joke from a 5 yr old kindergartener? Maybe they can find it funny, maybe not.

5. Mercymercyme says:

I think the ranking is fair. It’s ok Mercy, just, keep winning. The better teams are coming up. Stay ready.

6. Kayla says:

JJ what’s your team record?

Mercy has a great record, but 3.1 in strength of schedule? 3.1 was my GPA in high school. No way should Mercy pass SI in the rankings. I actually think Pinewood will beat Mercy, to tell you the truth.

7. Arthur Chin says:

@ Mercymercyme, who are “the better teams”? Mercy plays in the WBAL and both Pinewood and Eastside are way down this year. You can’t compare past records and results to this years league. It’s a rebuilding year for most of the former top WBAL teams.

• GCJ01 says:

Not to mention the WCAL is the stronger league and often have a stronger strength of schedule. I doubt Mercy will take the #1 spot at anytime this season unless SI goes on a big losing streak (which I don’t see happening). Even if SI loses a game or two, their strength of schedule should keep them at the top spot.

• Mercymercyme says:

Arthur, I mean better than the teams they’ve played to date in the preseason. Looking forward to seeing the girls play tonight vs Eastside! Go Skippers! Oh and Masoli, please stay out of foul trouble.

• Arthur Chin says:

i think Carothers is still on the mend from her injury so you guys should do alright……. but you never know, that’s why they play the game.

8. Anonymous says:

So what you are saying “Arthur Chin”, if that is your real name, is that no matter what Mercy accomplishes it’s never going to be enough. Never mind that these girls are talented and worked very hard for what they have accomplished. Its an insult to categorize all the teams that they played and themselves as below standards. Obviously the WCAL have bigger draws because, again , they are bigger schools up to 3 times the size than Mercy. We play with what we got ,get the job done, and make it work. Everyone is so hung up about other teams records. Yes, the teams have losses but a lot them are close games. Just because Mercy is actually getting some recognition , some people can’t handle the reality and have to justify why the aren’t up to par. That’s just sad not just for Mercy but all the teams.

• Cassie says:

I find it amusing that “Anonymous” is calling anyone out about using their real name!

Just saying.

All these teams have potential, everyone is beatable!

Everybody has their opinion on who’s better, and of course if your child goes to the school, you are going to get protective. Take it with a grain of salt, nobody on this website can see the future, except me – and I am not telling!

;-)

9. Arthur Chin says:

Don’t put words in my mouth or read too deep into what i’m posting.

Maybe this will make you feel better….. The DIV-4 rankings as of late.

BTW …….Becareful what you say about playing “BIGGER” schools; cause Mercy has more than 1 DIV-5 opponent on their schedule both preseason and in league. 5 of them to be exact.

1 St. Mary’s Berkeley 7-5 1
    Wins: Harbor 69-37, San Lorenzo Valley 66-14
    7 Calaveras San Andreas 12-1 8
    Wins: Argonaut 60-33, Summerville 65-30
    8 St Patrick St Vincent Vallejo 11-2 9
    Wins: Albany 61-40, Kennedy-Richmond 80-56
    9 Notre Dame Belmont 9-4 7
    Wins: None Losses: Sacred Heart Cathedral 36-59, St. Francis-Mountain View 30-44
    10 Berean Christian Walnut Creek 11-4 10
    Wins: Clayton Valley 64-60, Ygnacio Valley 55-15, Lick-Wilmerding 59-37

On the bubble: Cloverdale 7-3, Bear River 11-5, Arcata 11-4, Sonora 10-3

• Sparky says:

Arthur WHO cares what you think, or what you think you know. Watch the games and you will be more informed.

• Desiree says:

Obviously, you care, cause you felt the urge to post a negative comment yourself.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion – this is his. Do you have an argument with the facts that he obviously cut & pasted to this spot? If so, prove him wrong!!

Geez people – I think we all need to GET A LIFE!!!

10. Anonymous says:

Arthur, you have way too much time on your hands

11. IC Stars says:

What exactly is a “skipper”?

12. Anonymous says:

They somehow it relates to a dolphin. I’m not exactly sure why