Saturday Scoreboard

Scores will be updated as they are sent in. Please send in your scores to or call them in to (415) 251-0918. The score phone line is open 24 hours a day.

Game of the day – Sacred Heart Cathedral vs. St. Francis boys soccer: The Irish are right in the thick of the WCAL race and a win over the Lancers would keep them there. Riordan vs. Bellarmine boys basketball: The Crusaders came very close to knocking off NorCal powerhouse Mitty on Thursday and will look to get their second WCAL win against the Bells. For live updates on these games, follow us on Twitter at:

WCAL boys basketball

WCAL boys soccer
St. Francis (Mountain View) 1, Sacred Heart Cathedral 0
Valley Christian (San Jose) 2, Riordan 1
Mitty (San Jose) 1, St. Ignatius 0

WCAL girls soccer
St. Ignatius 0, Mitty (San Jose) 0

I feel sorry for the players/parents that have to play or watch the SI vs Mitty boys soccer game at 1pm. I guess you guys can watch the 2nd half of the 49er game. In all actuality, I think the 49ers are gonna lose, anyways. To me, the 49ers are overrated, as they beat a depleted Steelers team (big deal) and a NY Giant team that backed themselves into the playoffs. Those are their big wins. Saints are the hottest team right now. Who would you rather back: Brees or Alex Smith? I hope the Niners win because I live in SF, but Brees has the experience to win it all, while Alex Smith might crumble under the playoff pressure.

Haha, reverse jinx. Brees throws an INT and the Saints fumble at the 1

3. City Lights says:

It would be nice to see all three City WCAL schools bring home a win tonight. I predict 2 out of 3.

4. City Lights says:

I forgot the girls. 4 out of 5 for the City tonight…

Which teams do you think will win? The only game that looks like a sure-thing is SI girls over Valley Christian, and maybe SI boys over VC? But SI boys is a big question mark because they are struggling right now. I think the other games is a 50-50 toss-up or a loss, quite frankly.

6. PurpleMomba says:

Why not celebrate a 49ers victory and come out to Phelan and watch Riordan vs Bellarmine @ 7:30pm. We’ve got Garlic Fries too!

How do you know the 49ers will win? Niners are playing pretty average right now. If the Saints didn’t make so many stupid fumbles/int’s, they would be up by 2 TD’s right now. At any rate, where does Riordan get their cooks from? They cook really great food.

• PurpleMomba says:

JJ, no crystal ball here, but I’m an optimist. I don’t know the background of the Chef but I did hear that he is a real Chef with restaurant somewhere in the city.

HELL YEAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! Who DAT!!!!!! ??? Vernon Davis used to suck, but now all those 49er bandwagon fans will buy his jersey, lol

7. Paul B. says:

The downward spiral has continued tonight w/ another loss in SI boys hoops.

Serra is always a tough place to win at. The Golden State Warriors would probably lose there. As for the SI boys, I don’t know what’s the deal. They were winning with about 5 mins left in the game, then I guess they went into one of their patented cold streaks. I think Coach Reardon needs to shake things up, like maybe move Nick Johnson to shooting guard. Maybe last year’s coach was’t that bad, after all.

• GCJ01 says:

In hindsight you might be correct. A lot of people seemed to not like last year’s coach. But with the way things are going right now, who knows how the season would’ve went for SI if he was still there.

• Nicholas S says:

I was at the Serra/Mitty game last Saturday. The cheering section was great, Serra shot the ball very well and Aaron Gordon is amazing. Go Parades. I can’t wait for the SI game this Wednesday, my friends and I have pizza bet at Paradise Pizza on West Portal. Last year SI won at the last second. Serra is hot right now and SI isn’t, but I wouldn’t be surprised is SI wins next week.

• fan says:

Si coach was bad last year just had players that. Could play together this new coach lots of talent coach Reardon needs to step up see what he is made of.

• merkinworld says:

maybe si isn’t as talented as you think they are. You people didn’t like last year’s coach and now you are blaming the current coach? give me a break.

Last year’s SI coach DeBenedetti stepped down due to health reasons, not because he was a bad coach. They probably would’ve went far in CCS, but that 25 yr old senior from Burlingame was too much to handle.

• Kezar for Keeps says:

Yeah, “health reasons.”

The reason why Reardon was a “great” SI coach in the past was because he had “great” centers…..centers like Vince Legarza, Jesse Lopez-Low, Tim Szarnicki and other complementary players who could rebound and defend. DeBenedetti had a mediocre coaching career (based on his record), but he never had a “great” center, unless you think Mat Collins or Antonio Aguilar is “great”. Most of the people here want Domingo to dominate inside like a center, but he weighs only 195. Most of you guys weigh 195 and are probably 6 foot, not 6-7. Domingo’s game is catered to the perimeter.

8. IC Stars says:

Final from St. Francis. SHC wins 56-44.

9. IC Stars says:

Valley Christian beat SI 49-39.

Dang, I think the SI BOYS lost to Valley Christian. Long season.

11. Unbiased says:

ISA 22
    International 37

12. City Lights says:

YEAH RIORDAN! Huuuge win by the Crusaders. It would be such a great story if they could somehow find enough wins in league to get to the D4 playoffs despite the AD’s super bumbling error with the transfer that negated all of their pre-season wins.

So it’s final that Riordan basketball forfeited all their pre-season wins? I thought “the jury” hasn’t made a decision yet. I also feel somewhat sorry about the SI boys basketball season so far, but I’m sure they will make CCS.

I don’t believe it has been decided yet.

• City Lights says:

Any precedent cases of schools that actually got out of something like this? Seems like rules are rules.

I got out of a parking ticket before, so anything’s possible. A new AD jumping on board would be a fairly good reason, I suppose.

• Anonymous says:

Jeremy, does paperwork need to be filed if the student that transfered never played a varsity sport in his previous high school? I thought the rule was if a player played a varsity sport and moved to a different school in same city they had to either sit a year or file paperwork/petition to play? Since the student only played frosh athletics at SHC, I do not believe there is a need to file. This is how I thought the rule is interpreted. I hope I am right for Riordan’s sake.

14. Anonymous says:

Just goes to show you, even with all that talent, they can’t win if they don’t play as a team. So really, it is not always about the stud athletes. It is about team. SI better get it together.

15. fan says:

Serra beat Mitty ?????
    Gordon is still not health ?

16. GCJ01 says:

Crazy day in the WCAL. Mitty lost to Serra, even when Gordon had 25. SI lost to VC. What’s going on here?

• AFitzsimon says:

Just another day in the WCAL my friend. After a while nothing really surprises you.

I know that there will be upsets, however, with the SI/VC game, VC was winless prior to facing SI. Despite the bad rap that people on here are giving them, I do belive SI is much better than how they are playing. I guess it was more of a surprise that they lost by double digits than the actual fact that they lost.

• IC Stars says:

I don’t know, but at least it puts SHC back in first place. Now SI is another story. They’ve scored 40 points or less each game since the Riordan game.

17. GCJ01 says:

Can’t wait for the Top 10 to come out tomorrow. The boys side should see some movement while, in my humble opinion, the girls side will see little change.

18. Whatever says:

SI loses to VC by ten. Hard to believe. Third straight game that SI is held to under 40 points. Just don’t understand how a team with some reasonable talent, plays this poorly. They are now 7-8 on year. Will probably lose six more in WCAL (Serra (twice), Mitty, SHC, Bellarmine (twice). MAYBE they beat Riordan at home but I would not bet on it.

Very disappointing.

SI lost by 10, but they were winning by a bucket with 5 minutes left in the game. So the final score doesn’t really indicate that SI was competitive in this game, and in hindsight shoudl’ve won this game. SI was up 35-33, so my Math tells me that they only scored 4 pts in the last 5 minutes of the game, while VC scored 16. Someone needs to step up and get some baskets when the score is tight.

• City Lights says:

SI seems to be realizing how tough it is to go Princeton-style when you don’t have 2-3 people bombing three-pointers on at least a semi-regular basis.

That being said, I can see SI imitating their football team, getting hammered in league, and then going on a storybook run for a CCS title. I’ve seen this movie before. It usually casts SHC as the Washington Generals. Not this year.

Fab Four City:
      1. SHC
      2. ARHS
      3. SI
      4. Mission

When the new rankings come out, Riordan will be ranked #2. That is true about the lack of SI hitting their shots from downtown. I’ve been to 4 or 5 SI games this year, and they hit about 1 trey per game, maybe 2 if they get lucky. There’s probably someone on the SI bench that can hit 3’s at a high rate. Either put him in or force Nick Johnson to shoot at least 5 treys a game. Also, Domingo needs to use the pump fake to initiate contact and get to the free throw line. The scoring has to increase somewhere.

• Anonymous says:

JJ you are spot on – “There’s probably someone on the SI bench that can hit 3′s at a high rate.” SI actually does have quite a few GREAT players that seem to just sit on the bench the whole game. Sad to see great talent going to waste. I completely agree with Anonymous “Just goes to show you, even with all that talent, they can’t win if they don’t play as a team.” Hopefully things turn around this season for the Wildcats! This WCAL season is looking to be “the season” to watch all teams! Good Luck to everyone!

• hahahaha says:

SI football team didn’t get hammered in league. they lost 3 games by large margins.

19. fan says:

JJ you are correct. Daniel is probably SI best pure shooter as he has had some big shooting games earlier this year. I think like 1-2 games of scoring 20+. He has been out for 3 weeks with an injury of some sort. At some point someone has to hit a shot as they do miss lots of open looks.