Tuesday Scoreboard

Scores will be updated as they are sent in. Please send in your scores to contact@SanFranPreps.com or call them in to (415) 251-0918. The score phone line is open 24 hours a day.

Game of the day – Sacred Heart Cathedral vs. St. Ignatius boys basketball: The Wildcats will have a third shot at the Irish this season, but this time a WCAL semifinal spot is at stake. For live updates on this game, follow us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/SanFranPreps.

WCAL boys basketball playoffs
(2) Serra (San Mateo) 71, (7) Riordan 52
(3) Sacred Heart Cathedral 57, (6) St. Ignatius 45

WCAL girls basketball playoffs
(3) Sacred Heart Cathedral 57, (6) Valley Christian (San Jose) 33
(2) St. Ignatius 52, (7) Notre Dame (Belmont) 30

WCAL boys soccer semifinals
(1) St. Francis (Mountain View) 1, (5) St. Ignatius 1 OT (St. Francis wins 3-1 on penalty kicks)

BCL Central girls basketball play-in game
Waldorf 34, Gateway 33

AAA boys basketball
Mission 69, Balboa 57
Washington 60, Marshall 57
Lincoln 65, Jordan 27
Galileo 41, Wallenberg 29
Burton 68, ISA 52
Lowell 59, O’Connell 33

AAA girls basketball
Washington 39, Marshall 10
Balboa 61, Mission 45
Galileo 66, Wallenberg 24

WBAL Skyline girls soccer
Crystal Springs Uplands (Hillsborough) 8, Mercy 0
Eastside Prep (East Palo Alto) vs. ICA @ Crocker Amazon, 3:30 p.m.

So if I go to SHC tonight, I only have to pay once to watch a double feature, right? They won’t kick me out after the first game? There’s really nice games tonight. SI-SHC part 3, Wash at Marshall, and Mission at Balboa stick out the most. Here is my free parlay of the day: SI +8.5, Marshall -8, and Balboa +7. Good luck.

Wow. I didn’t even win 1 leg of my parlay. Marshall loses to the upstart GW ballclub, SI pretty much gets smacked in the mouth, and Mission runs away from Balboa, also beating them pretty handily. I was at SHC and I knew it was gonna be a lost for SI after starting point guard Kenny Hatch threw the ball over SD31’s head when he wasn’t even looking. It was just like the SI-Bellarmine game, where SI’s opponent jumps out to a double digit lead, then it’s basically playing catch up for the last 3 quarters.
      The highlight of the game was when Taylor Johns had 2 blocks in like 2 seconds, both against SD31. Johns was definitely the player of the game, with Fox getting runner-up. The refs were blind in some of their calls, though. One time Tyler Petroni knocks it out of bounds, and they call it off SI. Lots of suspicious calls, but I doubt it affected the final score of the game.
      I don’t know why Coach Reardon started Kenny Hatch and sat TD10 again to begin the game; senior night already passed. I think SI had a chance to trim the lead to a bucket or 2, but then they turned the ball over. SHC’s supporting cast > SI’s supporting cast . The Big 3 did their thing, as well as SHC’s twin towers, but the deciding factors were the contributions by The double P show (Pratt & Petroni) as well as KJ13. I hope SI gets a good seed for the CCS playoffs. Good luck to both teams. I hope they meet up again in the CCS finals.

2. SF_Mikey says:

Go SHC and Riordan (sorry Cats!). For the WCAL playoffs do they re-seed teams – i.e., if a lower seed beats a higher seed – or do teams stay in their same bracket regardless?

• E. K. says:

Don’t think they do but on the boys’ side, it won’t be a problem. All four upper seeds won.

I’m 99% certain they don’t.

• Go Cats! says:

I think they will re-seed for the girls, especially considering the ties.

• E. K. says:

According to the WCAL website, the girls side will be a bit odd… SHC @ Mitty and SF @ SI. Boys’ side will have no reseeding. SHC will be at Serra.

That is correct. SHC goes to Mitty, because SI and Mitty split the regular-season title.

Mike Cary told me that because of something in the league bylaws, SI now gets the top seed in the second round because Mitty got a bye on the coin flip in the first round.

Not exactly straight forward, but that’s how it is going to go down.

• ARHS Stats says:

WCAL Coin Flips for Seeds are reversed for the next round.

So Mitty is the Number 1 Seed on Tuesday night and St. Ignatius is the #1 Seed for Thursday’s games.

So SI should be playing the lowest seeded team remaining.

Mitty will be the #1 Seed on Saturday night, if they win on Thursday night.

This rule only applies to the league Co-Champions, since they will be hosting the games. This rule does not apply to the other teams that were involved in coin flips, only the #1 and #2 Seeds.

• ARHS Stats says:

In the WCAL playoffs (any sport), the #1 seed will always play the lowest remaining seeded team in the Semi Finals.

If Riordan had won (vs. Serra tonight), they would have been playing at Mitty on Friday Night and SHC would be hosting Bellarmine in the other Semi Final.

As long as there is no coin flip for the #1 seed it is easy for the lower seeded teams to figure who they are playing.

Tonight, Riordan, St. Ignatius, and St. Francis coaches all knew unless a lower seeded team won, they would play at Mitty in the next game.

I want to thank Riordan for their participation this season of hoops. But its over now. No playoffs for you. Good luck crawling out of the cellar. But you’re more than welcome to come and attend the SH games like you did for the Mitty game. Your purchase is extremely appreciated.

Im going to say it now, but I want SI again in CCS. 3-0 now this season. No, Jack Stinn, Dom, and Albert can’t save you now. Your end is near also… Go Irish.

• SF_Mikey says:

Sucks for Riordan having to forfeit the games but they’d get bounced early in the CCS playoffs anyway with their awful shooting and zero inside presence. SHC at Serra Friday night should be interesting but I would expect SHC to come away with the victory unless Serra brings in homer referees. Lets hope for a Mitty vs SHC rematch in the finals.

Serra only lost 1 game at home all season, and already beat SHC at home. Serra should be favored in this game by 2 points, according to the linesmakers. SHC needs to play their A game in order to win this game.

• Chris says:

Serra lost to SHC at home, they did not win. SHC lost at Serra this season. I think the IRISH will win at Serra, they have to if they want to play Mitty again.

• WCAL Alum says:

Serra on a Friday night is a TOUGH, TOUGH draw, let alone with a place in the championship game. The game should be close but it will depend on who the league has refereeing the game. Will league make it a Mid Peninsula group or a neutral South Bay team? Or a combination of north Peninsula and mid peninsula or one official from each association.

Ari Gold was it really necessary to kick Riordan when they are down. Amazing. Take high road.

• IC Stars says:

I think he meant at Serra’s home.

• Nicholas S says:

I wonder if the old man that got on to the floor to yell at the refs will be there? Go Serra!

• IC Stars says:

They lost to SI at home…

• M Air J says:

Mr. Gold, why the hostility towards Riordan? All the years of frustration are finally rising to the surface? Is it because Stats gave you a mean look 15 years ago? I understand your school has had a decent run in basketball as of late, but that, also my firend, will be coming to an end after this year. Riordan has been down since 07-08 when they won CCS in football and basketball. And even though your team has beat us quite handily since, I wouldn’t trade the 30 point win in Santa Clara for the CCS title in 2008 for anything in this world. I will give SHC credit for doing what they needed to do to rebuild their basketball and to a lesser extent, football programs, but it appears the well has run dry after this year. I wouldn’t put it past you to PROCURE another big or running back as I am sure they are out there. So enjoy your last hurrah my friend.

As far as crawling out of the cellar, it will be much easier to do so while stepping over/on SHC on our way out.

• WCal Fan says:

Yes, no need to bash Riordan like that Ari but don’t worry your school will not be on top for much longer. Everyone school has there up and down years which your school knows about. What comes around goes around Ariiiiiiiiiiiiiiii… Being so disrepectful to teenage kids is unbecoming.

• Chris says:

I think Mr. Gold was being a little harsh. I respect Riordan a lot and I am a SH fan. That being said, I do not think SH’s well has run dry, they will still post strong athletic teams just like Riordan and SI do every year. Guys like Johns and Fox come once every 4-5 years if that. The most important thing is you make the best of what you got, and SHC is. Compare that to all the talent that SI has and look at their record, it obviously means they are not playing well as a team or never to the potential they should or could be. My point is you can have an all star cast but it doesn’t mean squat if you can’t get them to play together, just look at some NFL teams. This is why I saw beauty in Riordan’s basketball team this year, they were in every game and they never had their head down. This is sports, live or die, win or lose, you show pride. You never have to be embarrassed if you give it your all. Go SF Wcal!!!

@M Air J
        Mr. Gold, why the hostility towards Riordan? [The bully that beat SH up for decades is finally getting his butt whipped by the kid who wasnt going to take it anymore]

All the years of frustration are finally rising to the surface? [Sure =)]

Is it because Stats gave you a mean look 15 years ago? [Definately =) Cant let that one go =)]

I understand your school has had a decent run in basketball as of late, but that, also my firend, will be coming to an end after this year. [Really? Tell that to Coach Darrell Barbour.]

Riordan has been down since 07-08 when they won CCS in football and basketball. And even though your team has beat us quite handily since, I wouldn’t trade the 30 point win in Santa Clara for the CCS title in 2008 for anything in this world. I will give SHC credit for doing what they needed to do to rebuild their basketball and to a lesser extent, football programs, but it appears the well has run dry after this year. I wouldn’t put it past you to PROCURE another big or running back as I am sure they are out there. So enjoy your last hurrah my friend. [Im sure theres another Rob Jones out there for you guys and when that guy comes around I’ll take a back seat….. Correct about the RB. SH is like Running Back U, (Sheppard, Rance, Sheppard, Yarnway, Miles)…. Last hurrah??? I’ll be the gentleman here and say “we will see”.

4. ARHS Stats says:

The CalPreps Computer has Riordan ranked as the best C.C.S. Division 4 team. CalPreps has also ranked Riordan as the 4th best Division 4 in Northern California. The strength of Riordan’s schedu.le is better than Salesian’s schedule strength.

Here is a listing of Top Twenty Division 4 teams in Northern California

15 39 Riverbank 20-2 8-2 12.2 -0.7
    16 44 Corning 21-3 5-2 11.2 -0.5
    17 46 Berean Christian (Walnut Creek) 15-9 6-4 10.2 5.5
    18 48 Orland 18-6 6-0 9.9 1.0
    19 49 Sonora 13-10 6-6 9.3 7.5
    20 51 McKinleyville 18-6 6-2 9.3 3.1

This does not mean Riordan would have won the C.C.S. Division 4 Bracket, but it does mean that they had a strong chance of winning the C.C.S. Division 4 Bracket.

Excellent point. The CCS commisioners screwed up. I don’t even think Salesian nor any of the top 10 teams (except Riordan and Sacred Heart Prep) are in the CCS. The only other CCS teams that look familiar are Palma and Menlo Atherton. Riordan had a very good chance to win CCS then would probably get blasted in NorCals, unless Danny Selsor got hot again.

• ARHS Stats says:

CCS teams are Sacred Heart Prep, Half Moon Bay, Palma, Menlo School, and Soquel.

The 3 teams above Riordan are all North Coast Section teams.

Modesto Christian is the highest ranked Sac-Joaquin Section team, next highest ranked SJS team is Riverbank. Sonora is the only other SJS team ranked in the Top Twenty

The Highest ranked Northern Section Team is Corning, followed by Orland.

Arcata, St. Patrick / St. Vincent, Justin Siena, and Piedmont are all North Coast Section Teams.

I think Riordan could compete with just about any Northern California Division 4 team, except for Salesian. This does not mean Riordan would win each game, just that it would be an interesting game.

The only team that would come out and blow Riordan out would be Salesian, and if Riordan got in the opposite bracket from Salesian, Riordan might have played for a Northern California Division 4 Regional Championship against Salesian.

5. Pablo says:

Well Done Coach JP, the Cats took no 1 seed to overtime on the road, watch out CCS!

6. GCJ 01 says:

Wash beat Marshall…this could have an affect on the Top 3 teams in the Lang Division. I hope this loss doesn’t ruin their chance at having a shot to host a playoff game.

7. SI Soccer Dad says:

Too bad there was no press coverage of the SI-Saint Francis soccer match last night. SI sort of limped through the season, gradually fashioning a solid squad by season’s end. Not only did they beat SHC on Saturday (a team some coaches thought to be the best team in the WCAL, team records notwithstanding), but they played #1 seed to a 1-1 standstill last night under the lights at Saint Francis, and had scoring chances in the two overtime periods as well. Reuben Young was, again, stellar in goal, and Eli Love put SI on the board first, early in the second half, with nice assist passes from Shane Slosar and Denis Shanagher. Reuben got his hands on 4 of the 5 penalty shots, managing to reject three (by my recollection), but SI’s PK shots were pretty anemic, other than Eli Love’s beautiful first shot, and they only managed that single penalty. A great game to watch, and excellent outing by SI against the #1 team. Hoping they get a CCS berth, as they are much better than their record.

8. Paul B. says: