Prep Wrapup: Sacred Heart Cathedral boys lacrosse wins first WCAL game

Prep Wrapup is our new feature where we will hopefully provide a broad overview of the previous day’s action. Coaches, to contribute to the Prep Wrapup, please send scores and details the night of the game/event to contact@sanfranpreps.com or call our scores line at (415) 251-0918.

Boys Lacrosse: Sacred Heart Cathedral 6, St. Francis 5

The Irish (5-5, 1-1), in their first varsity season, have already made an impact in the West Catholic Athletic League. On the road and under the lights at St. Francis (4-9, 0-3), Sacred Heart got three goals from junior Sedge Gate, two goals from Jaimie Gates and another from sophomore Will Maloney. The Irish held a 6-3 lead, but allowed two late goals. Sledge scored the eventual game-winner.

Baseball: Washington 13, Mission 1

Washington shortstop Dane Vande Guchte went 3-for-3 against the Bears, with two triples, 3 RBIs and two runs. The standout senior is leading the Eagles (6-7, 5-0) in batting average (.533), runs (15) and extra-base hits (6).

1. WCAL Alum says:

Wow. SHC lacrosse has more league wins that SHC baseball. Ouch!

Dont you just love all the SHC stories/articles? All green, white, and blue coverage! Great job JB on giving us all the in-depth information, the quotes, the outside the lines. You have definately shown your true colors of late. Yes you are Jeremy Seamus Balan!

• cityfan says:

No kidding! I thought i logged on to the SHC Athletics website by mistake…LOL! All 4 stories on the front page are of the Irish! Good for them, it’s THEIR time! Good luck on Saturday!

• WCAL Alum says:

Playing in a State Championship game is extremely rare event for a City school. I am sure if SI was able to obtain this success with their women’s team, you would be O.K. with this.

Instead of being sacastic about the SHCP team success (or J Balan’s ability to make most of the moment), embrace this team as a representative of The City (that is if you live in The City).

As a City resident I am happy for their success and wish them the best. As a WCAL Alum, I am wishing the same success to Mitty for both their womens and men team. Go Irish and Monarchs.

Remember, these athletes are playing on the last day of the season. How cool is that.

• cityfan says:

I am not an SI fan, I’m a Riordan alumnus, and was sincerely giving SHC their props. I was born and raised in SF, took Muni everyday to school, and a USF grad. You’re right, though. City schools playing for the State championship is rare indeed. I’m lucky to have been to all 3 State title games that the Crusaders played in. These are good times when social media sites can carry this kind of coverage of high school sports.

• WCAL Alum says:

City. My response was to Mr. Gold’s 2:08 p.m. comment. Your credentials are solid.

• M Air J says:

Mr. Gold is the most die hard, well maybe tied with IC Stars, Irish supporter. He was not being sracastic, he was being sincere. Not sure why you mentioned SI as Ari Gold bleeds SHC green.

I actually want the Mitty boys to lose. I don’t like it when teams win too much such as Mater Dei and Mitty. Even De La Salle football gets annoying when they always win by 4 TD’s

JJ you cant put Mitty in that class. Last year was their 1st state title for men’s hoops… If youre add the women’s hoops success then yes you can say Mitty wins too much. The Drew Gordon/Colin Chiverton years, they lost back to back D2 title games to Mater Dei.

DLS doesnt always win by 4 TDs, they win by 6,7,8 TDs… Im on the other side of you. I think DLS’s dominance is good because it puts Bay Area football on the map. Without them, the Bay Area would not get national recognition. All you would hear about is Florida, Texas and So. Cal schools.

I would like Mitty to lose also. It would make Aaron Gordon even more hungry and beastmode next year to finish his high school career with a state title after getting the bad taste in his mouth of losing a state title game. Hes way too dominant, especially in the 4th quarter. Dont see Mitty losing this one but if they do then good because I dont like that Jordan White #24 guy. Everyone else is ok with me.

• IC Stars says:

I like DLS winning by 5 or 6 TD’s too. Always root for the sister schools. Even St. Mary’s.

Im glad you brought Neil Vranicar up JJ… He will play in college somewhere and be that team’s 3 point specialist. In alot of ways, this is exactly what Stephen Domingo wants to be. A spot up 3 point shooter. When I saw Vranicar’s game/skills, I immediately thought with his height (6’5), and his lefty stroke from 20-23 ft, he fills a role for most teams that need a outside shooter off the bench. Him falling on Josh Fox’s ankle didnt bother me. It wasnt like he did that on purpose. Freak accident.