Thursday Scoreboard

Scores will be updated as they are sent in. Please send in your scores to or call them in to (415) 251-0918. The score phone line is open 24 hours a day.

Game of the day – Galileo vs. Lincoln baseball: The Lions have a half-game lead over the Mustangs for the final playoff spot in the AAA’s A Division and this game could decide who gets in and who is left out of the postseason with only a week left in the regular season. For live updates on this game, follow us on Twitter at: and you can also follow pitch-by-pitch at with the password FB23526406.

AAA badminton
Lowell 5, Balboa 2
Galileo 5, Lincoln 2
Washington 7, Wallenberg 0
Mission 6, Marshall 1
Burton 4, SFI 3
O’Connell 4, ISA 3

BCL West badminton
Drew 3, San Domenico (San Anselmo) 2
Convent/Stuart Hall @ Chinese Christian (San Leandro), 4 p.m.
Lick-Wilmerding @ International, 4 p.m.
University @ Athenian (Danville), 4 p.m.

AAA baseball

Lowell 6, Jordan 0
Mission 5, Wallenberg 0
Balboa 0, O’Connell 0
Washington 4, Burton 1
Galileo 5, SFI 0

BCL Central girls soccer
Waldorf vs. Pescadero @ Crocker Amazon, 4 p.m.

BCL West girls soccer
Drew 3, Urban 2
Lick-Wilmerding 1, Convent 0

Non-league girls soccer
Jewish Community 7, Emery (Emeryville) 3

AAA softball
Lowell 6, Balboa 0
Washington 25, Galileo 1
O’Connell 7, ISA 6
Wallenberg 14, Burton 13

BCL West softball
Urban 18, Marin Academy (San Rafael) 1

Non-league softball
Mercy vs. Mission @ Lang, 3:30 p.m.

BCL West swimming
Drew vs. University @ Hamilton, 4 p.m.

WCAL swimming
Valley Christian (San Jose) 94, St. Ignatius 89 (girls)
St. Ignatius 110, Valley Christian (San Jose) 66 (boys)

AAA boys tennis
Wallenberg 5, Balboa 0
Washington 5, Lincoln 2

BCL West boys tennis
Stuart Hall 4, Drew 1

WCAL boys tennis
Sacred Heart Cathedral vs. Mitty (San Jose) @ SF State, 3:30 p.m.
Riordan @ St. Francis (Mountain View), 3:30 p.m.
St. Ignatius @ Bellarmine (San Jose), 3:30 p.m.

Non-league boys tennis
St. Lawrence (Santa Clara) 3, Jewish Community 3 (St. Lawrence wins on tiebreak)
Branson (Ross) 7, Lick-Wilmerding 0

WCAL boys volleyball
Sacred Heart Cathedral @ Valley Christian (San Jose), 6:30 p.m.

1. Eagles 99 says:

Thats the game of the day balan? How about covering some good games that are happening instead of lacrosse and the AAA scrubs. Smh SanFran preps

2. Eagles 99 says:

Any game would be better then the one you have had the past several days…lacrosse and then gal vs lincoln…? NO ONE CARES

I’m sorry you disagree with how I direct our coverage. I suggest you take a journalism class or seminar on what newsworthiness is.

Galileo vs. Lincoln today is essentially for a playoff spot. I’m not sure what your problem with that is. Your team wasn’t picked?

An overtime game for a first-year lacrosse program was undoubtedly the best game yesterday and I would have kicked myself after the fact if I chose to cover any other game.

• sfpatriot says:

JB — I love the way way you spread your coverage around. Lesser followed sports and teams desreve recognition. Its all about the athletes and competition — it doesnt always have to be only the best teams. Keep up the great work

Agree 1000%. The coverage, even though some may not care about this sport or that sport, is very welcomed and I’m sure any SF high school athlete now that sees his/her name or picture on SanFranPreps must feel like a million bucks.

I had my picture once in the high school prep sports section in the old Independent newspaper eons ago. I was like WOW! My picture is there!!! Im bet this is how the kids today feel. Keep up the great work JB.

• SeanP says:

Obviously Eagles99 is a wash grad. This site is called San Fran Preps for a reason Eagles99. All the games cannot be covered and it is sometimes a tough choice on which ones to cover. jbalan is doing a wonderful job with this, since no papers cover ALL high school sports anymore (or very rarely). This site was deigned, I am assuming here since I don’t really know, to let the community know how their kids teams, or former high school teams, are doing throughout the year in ALL sports. I think San Fran Preps does a fantastic job of keeping everyone up to date on what’s going on with the teams in the city. I am sure that they do not have enough reporters to cover all the games, and they have a tough choice in deciding what “lead” story to go with. It’s a balanced, unbiased job and you cannot always go with the “popular” choice. Playoff implications for the other teams not 1 or 2 is what any newspaper, blog, site will go with, as these are usually the more exciting games that can determine who goes home and who goes on.

Keep up the great work you guys do. I just wish there was something like this 25 years ago.

GREAT JOB!

3. WCal Fan says:

I agree jbalan. That’s why you do what you do.

4. Afan says:

Jbalan I like your coverage of all the city sports, not just the mainstream. (An Olympic fencer in one of our high schools – who knew?)
    Buy why not Balboa vs Lowell? This is like the 3rd story on Galileo and none for Bal.

Balboa is pretty much locked into the No. 3 spot and Lowell into either No. 1 or No. 2, depending on what happens against Wash next week. That was originally going to be the game we covered today, but I switched it this morning because of the playoff implications of the Lincoln-Gal game. We only covered Gal once this year (against Marshall) and haven’t seen Lincoln yet. Sometimes it’s just the way the schedule plays out. A year or two ago, we didn’t cover Wash baseball until the last week of the regular season.

• Josh Weinstein says:

Agreed @Afan. Without San Fran Preps, other student athletes get over looked in the newspapers and websites like fencers, golfers, etc.

5. Afan says:

Oops. I was wrong, you’ve only covered Galileo once.

6. SHC Tennis says:

You should cover SHC-SI Tennis on Monday. Its also SHC Senior Day.

7. afan says:

Ok jbalan I get it, you have a lot of ground to cover…
    But the game at Big Rec was a good one.
    Lowell squeaked out a win in the bottom of the 7th 5 to 4.
    I will be cheering for Wash to beat Lowell next week, if only to silence that annoying chatter coming out of the Lowell dugout…

8. kbare says:

the only way drew was able to beat urban was because the ref called a pentalty on urban which wasnt even close to a foul and the ref let drew tackle urbans goalkeeper during a corner kick. also, the ref didn’t call a penalty for urban when drews goalkeeper pushed urbans forward out of the way and completely fouled her.
    urban should have won the game, drew didn’t deserve to win.

9. FFP says:

Burton Vs. Wallenburg.

NO HITTER game.

Pitcher: Randy Mai

10. GGC says:

I’m fine with the “game of the day” sections, but it does seem like sf preps tends to emphasize the AAA teams and the SI/SHC rivalry much more than the smaller independent schools. Is this intentional?

I see your point, however, I have a question for you. How often do you see students, athletes, fans, and/or supporters from the independent/private schools (essentially the BCL and the WBAL) comment on this site? You hardly ever see them do so. I’m not saying that they don’t, but the majority of the comments come from those who are affiliated with the WCAL and the AAA. Additionally, when there is an article on the independent/private schools, hardly anyone comments on them.

Please do not take this as the reason why, seemingly, SanFranPreps tend to lean towards the WCAL and the AAA. In my opinion, each league gets their fair share of attention. But if you go by the comments alone, just be happy that the independent/private schools are being covered in the first place.

ESPN emphasizes the Red Sox and Yankee rivalry, the Miami Heat, Da Bulls, Timothy Tebow, etc. Honestly, if the game of the day is Jesuit Community vs Gateway field hockey, I do not read the article. No disrespect to those high schools.