Boys Basketball: St. Ignatius’ Stephen Domingo commits to Georgetown

Many have speculated the future of St. Ignatius standout Stephen Domingo and the junior decided on Georgetown on Monday. (Photo by Eric Luis)

St. Ignatius junior Stephen Domingo ended the drama of a nearly three-year recruiting process on Monday, verbally committing to Georgetown University a full year before his scheduled graduation from high school.

Domingo, a 6-foot-7 wing and three-year varsity player, led the Wildcats in scoring (13.3 points per game) and rebounding (five per game) in his junior season.

“It’s been a great ride.” Domingo said of the recruiting process, which had coaches from some of the best basketball programs in the nation attend his games at St. Ignatius. “I had some of the best coaches in America recruit me and it’s been an honor, but it has been going on so long, I had seen everything that I wanted to see.”

Domingo limited his college choices to Georgetown, Harvard, Stanford, UCLA and Washington recently, but said that his relationship with Hoyas head coach John Thompson and the school’s academic standing put Georgetown over the top.

“I really feel that I can develop as a young man and as a basketball player there,” Domingo said. “[Georgetown has] great academics, great tradition and I developed a relationship with coach Thompson and the rest of the coaching staff.”

Georgetown also shares common aspects with St. Ignatius. Both are Jesuit institutions, both basketball teams feature similar motion/Princeton-style offenses and both play in leagues known for physically-demanding play.

“It’s another Jesuit school and it makes the people at SI feel that what we’re doing here is getting through to these kids,” said St. Ignatius head coach Tim Reardon. “It’s also cool that he’s playing at a similar system and I think there’s no league that prepares you for Big East basketball like playing in the [West Catholic Athletic League].”

His commitment to Georgetown is undoubtedly positive news for San Francisco and St. Ignatius, but the City basketball community can’t take a deep breath just yet.

Swirling rumors about Domingo leaving SI for a nationally-drawing basketball academy still remain, and he has not explicitly dispelled them.

“Right now, I’m a student at SI and spring workouts are going great,” Domingo said. “I’m excited and looking forward to playing summer ball with my guys.”

Northern California talent leaving the area for the likes of Findlay Prep and Oak Hill Academy is not just a recent trend. Luke Whitehead, a standout forward that split for Oak Hill after his junior year at St. Ignatius in 1999, later went on to play at Louisville.

“We’re going to coach whoever is going to play for us,” Reardon said. “Stephen has said [to the SI coaching staff that] he’s committed to play for SI.”

1. M Air J says:

2013? So this means he will play 2013-2014 season?

2. M Air J says:

This is great for SD31, from one fine Jesuit institution to another. Best of luck to this young man! For all the naysayers, obviously a top D1 program saw something in him to offer him a scholarship.

3. George Nguyen says:

Taking the Jimbo out East!

4. airball says:

Congrats…whatever you may think of his game, the young man just landed a free college education.

• WCAL Alum says:

A lesson here is potential and strong academics foundation will open a lot of doors. Congratulations.

• thecityplanner says:

I would say the lesson here is that no college scouts are paying attention to what a player does in High School

It’s ALL about what you do in AAU tournaments.

5. SF_Mikey says:

Great news for SD31! Needless to say, Georgetown is a fine university and he’ll get a fantastic education as well as balling in the Big East. Very impressive indeed.

6. Keep it real says:

No matter what some think!! He had his pick!!! And that’s what it’s about!!! Very good student and good basketball Player And 6″7 who can shoot the jumper=degree Now will he stay at SI ??? Some say he gone as fast as school is over this year!!!Bishop Gorman or Finley prep!!!

It sounds like pretty good news that the SI coaching staff said that he’s committed to play for SI, but Domingo didn’t completely dispel the rumors of a transfer. If he picked G’Town for his college, wouldn’t it be common sense to stay in SI’s system, a system that G’town currently runs??? Whatever his decision, I’m sure it will be the right one, but it would be better to have a HS diploma from SI than those other schools. :)

• @SA says:

Congratulations to Stephen for putting in the hard work to receive a scholarship and an excellent education from Georgetown. It’s great exposure for San Francisco basketball and validates all the training Stephen has put in with Nate Ford while playing for the Rebels as a youth and more recently with Phil Galvin at the Olympic Club. Regardless of where Stephen finishes his high school career, he has a bright future in front of him.

• Just the facts says:

Domingo doesn’t play for OC this summer and he didn’t last year, if i am correct. I believe he hasn’t played for a local AAU team for a few years. So not sure about his allegiance to SI either.

Gotta imagine that SI’s new coach’s making him the “star” last year didn’t go over well with the rest of the team and might have contributed to their season record. It didn’t seem like team-work to many outside and inside observers. I understand some of the other Varsity SI team players are moving on this year to other schools instead of staying at SI.

BTW Domingo is no Patrick Ewing. Patrick Ewing was much bigger and had more success on the high school court when he was Domingo’s present age. Ewing has a physical presence which SD31 is unlikely to ever have.

Doesn’t anyone wonder how much of a lot of this is really good PR work? I understand that some players have hired ” brand promoters'” as well as videographers. Ewing got known before there was all this promoting of high school athletes on websites and on the YouTube videos and AAU tournaments and DVD’s sent around and internet publicity etc. He had talent and size.

Considering your name, not many of the points you made in your comment have any factual basis.

• Just the facts says:

Which point is not factual?
              Paragraph no 1 is factual. He does not play on OC and he does play with Adidas DreamVision.
              Paragraph no 2 is an opinion like so many others have stated also. i.e. fairly widely held.
              Paragraph no. 3 is factual.
              Paragraph no. 4 is highly commonly held to be a truthful observation. There are books and movies based on true stories and facts about the hype and PR about HS “stars” that they are manipulated and marketed. The NCAA has ruled on cases and held meetings about their own attempts to keep HS ball “amateur” when much of it is already marketed and there are big companies that are “sponsors” (like Adidas) of individual AAU coaches who “recruit” players to their teams with promises of “visibility’ and who then “talk” about them to college coaches.
              No problem with my “name”. I will change it and then I can be like other “commenters” and not be subject to a put down without facts. At least I attempt to give more facts than opinions.

The points you made, although some were backed up by facts with connections to Stephen, are opinions and you speak as if you are a person with inside knowledge of the inner workings of Stephen’s mind and the St. Ignatius basketball team, which I highly doubt you have.

• Just the facts says:

I asked you to state which of my statements were not factual and I did not hear that from you.

I do not speak as if I have any inside info of SD’s mind but your referring to him by first name only seems to imply that you do. Please tell me what I wrote that would give you any reason to say such a statement.

I do have some inside knowledge about the feelings of some of the SI Varsity players from last year.

I do have some experience and knowledge about “amateur” sports and the NCAA etc. I am also well read on many related topics which do not show up in this column but I think would be interesting to many of the commenters. I think that the commenters seem knowledgeable about local sports and may benefit from opening up the discussion to a broader outlook that I am sure they are aware is going on and may also be knowledgeable about, I feel that these topcs would really give some breadth to the discussions regarding high school athletics (prep or amateur or AAU) , like high school age sports and the NCAA — and college sports and the issues inherent to commercialism, marketing and promotions that occur to a certain extent also at the high school level and lower. I sometimes think that these present discussions are frequently rather inbred and narrow. Although I understand that this web-blog is meant for SF high school sports, sometimes looking at the broader platform could be useful. For instance, it is likely that in the case of the SH BB stars Fox and Johns, they chose UCR for many reasons over the Ivy league offers including that the Ivy schools do not provide a “full ride”. I could go on more but .. not if you feel that my opinions are not “allowable” in comparison to many of the others’ opinions. I like to deal in facts, because it is from facts that I form my opinions. I think that is normal. I think it is clear when I express opinion and when fact. I’ll try to do better but sometimes I have to leave out my sources for anonymity.

• Just some facts says:

Jbalan: would you like to rethink what you wrote about my points not being factual now. I said that he would not be loyal to SI -> true. I said his coach made him the “star” – centered their play around him and Coach Reardon said that iin deuces in your update interview absolutely. I said he doesn’t play for OC but for Adidas DreamVision- obviously true. Then I questioned that there may be some PR going on – I did not state that as a fact, but brought it up as a question for others to ponder. But certainly in the big world of “College” sports I am not bringing anything to notice that hasn’t been very well researched and made into books and movies etc. I also said as truthfully as the other statements that he is no Patrick Ewing at his age. That is an undeniable truth. Time will tell. But SD claims to be 6’7″ and at best weights 180 lbs. Maybe a tall thin hid his size can make it work like Jeremy Lin and I am going to guess that JL’s splashing into the news has had a lot to do with SD’s decision – but Patrick Ewing was a full sized NBA person at 17 years old with more skills than just being a shooter – he also could defend – and I know. I saw it in person. I suppose you might be too young to know or have seen Patrick Ewing. Also you information seems pretty regional.

You said that i was trying to seem as though I knew what SD31 mind was thinking. I denied that and yet now – it doesn’t look like I was too far away from the truth. It seemed that due to your supposed inside track (you wrote in the other article that you had inside info you did not post to this website) to him and his parents you thought you knew what there plans would be, and you now admit you got it wrong even with you “inside” knowledge.

I hope Dunbar transfers to SH. They would have THE FASTEST backcourt bar none with him and Khalil James.

• thecityplanner says:

I appreciate the points JUST THE FACTS is making.

It’s safe to say that Domingo is not getting a ride bc he played for the Olympic Club. LOL. Maybe in 1955…but then he wouldnt have been allowed on their team in 1955.

• HS says:

Stephen has been TRAINING with Phil Galvin, an excellent fundamentals coach at the Olympic Club for years. There are +- 15 current and future SI players PLAYING for the Olympic Club and getting excelling coaching from SI grad Joe Skiffer, Rich Forslund, Mark Perelman and P Galvin. SI should follow the lead of football and baseball and bring in one of these “outsiders” to teach the game. Of course their fear is that they would lose control of their inbred athletic department, but if they finish in 6th place for the third year in a row next year, change will happen.

7. merkinworld says:

All the best to this young man.

He’ll definitely have to hit up Ben’s Chili Bowl and get some half-smokes.

Will this mean since he verbally committed this early that he will play inside the paint? He doesnt have to worry about showcasing his perimeter talents anymore to the colleges. He can now concentrate on helping his team where they are thin which is inside the paint.

• SF_Mikey says:

No I am sure that he won’t be asked to play the low post his senior year. Maybe we’ll catch a few of his games on ESPN next year.

9. thecityplanner says:

congrats..it’s great for the City and also to Fox and Johns going to UC Riverside.

Way to go.

• Johnny Drama says:

Man, Fox and Johns had their day in the sun, this is SD#31’s time, don’t drag them into it. They’re yesterdays news!

Now it’s time to celebrate Domingo’s accomplishment! Tell’em JJ!

Being Mr. Domingo’s #1 fan, I don’t want to give him too much pressure. I will just let the “Reggie Miller Prodigy” do his thing. Can’t wait for next year, then the year after when I can witness greatness on the ESPN family of channels on a regular basis. Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson, Stephen Domingo…..to be continued.

• bubba says:

you’ve got to be kidding

This is making me puke. Hes not even the most valuable player on the team! Tre-vor Dun-bar! clap-clap-clap-clap-clap! Tre-vor Dun-bar!

• IC Stars says:

I concur with Bubba. If you think he’s the next Reggie Miller, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

• Eric says:

I would be willing to bet Reggie Miller’s high school team in his Junior year found a way to win more than 4 league games, in a league tougher than the WCAL. Not sure, no data, but I somehow gotta figure they did better than losing in a section 2nd round game.

• HS says:

I would be willing to bet that Reggie Miller had a coach who taught fundamental and ran an offense that did not include passing the ball around in a circle until the shot clock was about to expire and then having a player take a contested 23′ shot with no one to rebound. Don’t blame Domingo, Waters or Trevor for their poor record, blame Tim Reardon. With the new high school transfer rules effective July 31st, I would suspect Domingo won’t be the only player who may be leaving SI.

• m says:

Im pretty sure Tim Reardon has a CCS championship to his name. Last year wasn’t their best but they are young.

• merkinworld says:

Even without these players, I would be willing to bet SI won’t do any worse than last year’s total of 4 league wins. If these players do indeed transfer, good luck to them, and all the best to their AAU coaches.

• Chris says:

How does the class of 2016 look for SI or SHC, do they have any excitement regarding any players for football or basketball. I know its early, but there has to be a few studx in this class.

10. COncerned Citizen says:

The kid got a FULL RIDE to a hoops power/excellent university. The people who REALLY know about the game think he is good enough to offer him basically a $250K offer and he will leave with a Gtown diploma. I would say they are more credible than anybody on this board.

All you folks were singing the praises of Fox/Johns for going to UCR. Good for them but Domingo is going to a better university both athletically and academically. I would consider John Thompson more of an authority on basketball than Ari Gold, IC Stars and Eric combined. Quit bashing the kid and give him his kudos. I for one, am impressed and I congratulate him.

• Chris says:

@ COncerned citizen

Fox and Johns have nothing to do with this. I do not know if you know but Fox could have went to Cornell or Columbia University But he wanted to play with Johns. The two are brothers and feed off each other and want to continue to play next to each other. They also wanted to go to a school where they could start right off the bat and contribute. Stephen Domingo deserves credit I will agree, he is a good student athlete. However, he also deserves criticism for only bringing his team 4 league wins. He has not been playing like a rising star with all his talents.

• COncerned Citizen says:

They were brought up in the thread and all the haters talking bad about Domingo are the SHC contingent, so yes, they are relevant.

If he truly could have gone to an Ivy League school, he should have. Those degrees are much more lucrative but he chose to sing Kumbaya with Johns in beautiful Riverside, CA, good for him. I wish them the best. Starting right off the bat? We will see. Their games are NEVER televised so you can fill us in on their progress.

Criticize him all you want, but he won the game. Name an SF basketball player that went to a more prestigious school on a full ride than Domingo in the past decade? Kately comes to mind (CAL) but nobody else I can think of. And please don’t say Fresno State! I’m sure he’ll take your criticism all the way to DC.

• Chris says:

Maybe FOX and JOHNS have a comfort zone and play well together and that is the chemistry they have. The chance of them continuing to play together makes them feel stronger and more confident. Have you ever considered not everyone wants to be away from family, etc. I never said SD31 getting a full ride is not a big deal, Georgetown is a very good school and it suits SD31 personality and what he wants. Good Luck to all these fine men. SD31 will have another chance to prove he is a superstar in high school and bring a CCS trophy at the very least.

• COncerned Citizen says:

Is this your opinion or firsthand knowledge of why they chose UCR? You are making them appear to be softies!

• merkinworld says:

Levy Middlebrooks -Pepperdine Tony Passinissi-St. Mary’s Juan Mitchell -Columbia Michael Bowie-Boston College Kevin Restani-USF Glenn Hubbard-SCU Luke Whitehead-Louisville Let us see how SD31 performs in the Big East. 13 pts and 4 rebounds a game in the WCAL? Get real.

• COncerned Citizen says:

You are showing your age old man going back 40 years for some of these names. Again, none of those schools offer the basketball prestige that G’town does with the exception of Louisville. There hasn’t been an SF ball player go major D1 from an SF high school since Kately. Those schools you mention are mid majors and BC who is in a major conference is no good. Johns and Fox averaged 14 PPG and are post players. Domingo can shoot and has more upside, hence the major D1 ride. He did play on a top AAU team and had great shooting performances. He is going to Gtown to shoot the jimmy. With a real post player, his skills will be more evident.

It’s a good thing you aren’t a scout for a major D1 program, you all would be in last place. I believe John Thompson III has enough stripes not to be second guessed. Even if he doesn’t lead the league in scoring, he will be leaving with a Gtown degree. Not a bad tradeoff.

A G’town degree is not a given. Marquise Kately, for instance, dropped out of Cal and ended up in an all-black college like Morgan State or something like that. I’m not really sure if he graduated or not, but if he did, it seemed like it took 7 years. Many things can happen in the next year. What if John Thompson III get fired? I’m sure SD31 will take his services elsewhere if that happens because I think it’s only a verbal commitment. Maybe he might get home-sick, Then transfer to Stanford, who knows? I know alot of players transfer if they don’t get enough playing time, get homesick, poor grades, broke up w/ their GF, etc.

• Just some facts says:

Do Columbia or Cornell offer a “full ride”? Or any scholarships for athletes?
        Does UCR? Did they get a ‘full ride” at UCR? Good for them then.

• IC Stars says:

IC Stars “bashed” no one but from what I’ve seen of SD31 I was not impressed. He’d better spend some time in the weight room.

11. City Lights says:

Congratulations to #31!

If the SI coach was smart he would ask John Thomson how to run his offense better AND faster. I’m sure Thomson wouldn’t mind Domingo learning some fundamentals of Georgetown’s version of the Princeton.

SI could be really really good this year if they take the right steps to mend fences and get better.

Does anyone else feel like Domingo wouldn’t mind getting some revenge at the Bruce game? Oh snap! No Fox? No Johns? Payback is a beezie.

12. Just the facts says:

1, Domingo has played for at least two years on the Adidas DreamVision team.
    2. Georgetown has as a major sponsor Adidas which is the brand that they use for athletics and for their branded clothing etc that they sell to fans and students etc. (doubt this connection, then lookup Adidas and Georgetown online and you will see that there was just a month ago a big protest at GU regarding its support of Adidas in regarding it labor arrangements in Indonesia. This issue is very big at GU to the level of its President).
    3. Domingo is going to play for Georgetown.
    4. Adidas promotes its AAU athletes?

True, true and unrelated? or is all of this a happenstance? This is the 21st century. Little in athletics even at the high school level is merely “amateur “anymore? Internet is a marketing media.

This is a ridiculous point. A school offering a scholarship to a player is a huge investment and John Thompson’s job security is based on his success. He recruits players he believes he can use to win games.

• Just the facts says:

You missed my point.

Im tired of this too Balan. I want a new update on Johnny Mrlik, the anti-Domingo please.

I hope Stephen really takes advantage of the free education at a top notch private college. I seriously doubt hes going to an impact player during his time at GU. At best probably a 7th or 8th man. Its just an opinion. If he proves me wrong then I’ll be the first to give him his credit like I did Trevor Dunbar this past year. Good luck to you Stephen. Please prove me wrong and make SF proud.

• Just the facts says:

If the purpose is to recruit players to winn games, then why recruit someone who the last season did not do that. If he wants someone to win games from this area, my opinion is to recruit Aaron Gordon or if that is not likely, Fox or Johns. SD just has not proved his hype IMHO and that of many other observers.

However, Correct me if I am wrong but many Coaches like at GU get much if not most of their income from promotions, not salary. I have to believe that Adidas promotes GU and its coaching staff.

• M Air J says:

College coaches recruit certain players because of how they will fit/perform in their system. Domingo can flat out shoot the ball. This is a skill every team needs. If I recall correctly, he hit 9 threes at an AAU camp and was named MVP. This is why he is being recruited. He will not be asked to carry the Hoyas but to hit jumpers to spread the floor for their bigs. The reason, IMHO, hat Fox and Johns did not get highly recruited is because their style of play. They are 6’4 players who play inside. This does not translate well to the major D1 level, hence they are playing for UCR. They are still very good players who will have a free education so they did geeat for themselves.

Your facts are incorrect. G’town wears Jordan gear so there goes your conspiracy theory. And no, the lion’s share of salry is paid by the school.

• WCAL Alum says:

M an J seems spot on. As good and smart as Fox and Taylor were on the court, they are tweeners at high level DI schools. Domingo, if he matures physically and meets his potential on the perimeter can be a good role player or more for a Georgetown team.

At end of day, all are getting their college educations paid for; I think that is enough.

• Just the facts says:

Georgetown Voice: Students demand that GU terminates contract with Adidas. from April 19 2012.

• Johnny Drama says:

Go to the GTown mens Basketball website and you will see the Nike swoosh all over the place. Go the their prep shop and all the shirts/gear is Nike. Google image them and you will see them wearing Jordans. They have been wearing Nike’s since the Gtown Terminator days!

I believe your original point , that SD31 playing for an Adidas sponsored AAU team is the reason he is going to Gtown, is ridiculous IMHO.

And Gordon can go anywhere he wants too. He is the best HS player in these parts in quite some time. On a side note, Domingo has beaten a Gordon led team, have Fox and Johns?

• Just the facts says:

I guess I didn’t make myself clear. I did not mean that the vendors paid his (Thompson’s) salary through giving monies to GU to be passed on for his salary. But that the vendors/ promoters provide additional income as is the case for most D1 coaches to a tune that for many of them, the commercial promotion monies of the coach can rival, equal or exceed the salary from the college.

I think that the same and more of the praise that you gave to SD could be said about Gordon. And AG has the height and weight to not be pushed around on the outside or the inside — like SD will find is more challenging in the D1 than it is in WCAL. But I do wish SD good luck, yet I still think that in Northern California alone there are better all-around players who also can shoot, IMHO. SD will have to put on a lot of weight and I don’t think that is very likely. It is true that he has done better in his AAU play than at SI/WCAL But that brings up the question of why.

• Just the facts says:

Where does the lion’s share of the athletic department monies come from? Boosters, vendors (mostly like from clothing and shoes) media (doing TV and radio), camps sponsored a lot of the time in part at least by vendors like Nike and Adidas,etc. Thompson made about 1.9 million in 2010 and Georgetown will not indicate how much was from what sources such as promotions or media contracts. But read more below about Basketball coaches salaries in general.

This is an interesting read.

Please stop changing your display name. I won’t change it again.

• Johnny Drama says:

I would assume the lions share for m ost D1 high major programs comes from ticket sales driven mostly by football and basketball. Also, teams make lots of money when they play in bowl games or march madness games. Many schools actually lose money in sports other than the 2 mentioned above.

• Just some facts says:

Johnnie: Most of the money comes from Media – that is of course – I thought, understood- TV bowl games, bball games, tournaments like Final Four games – so those were included in my big category “Media” and you only separated those out. The big tournaments/bowls like the Final Four get the most % of monies for schools from — TV contracts and other media – and the same for seasonal games etc. The two big categories are Media and Vendors. You mention ticket sales. Well for a BIG school like Georgetown – and we were talking about Georgetown and not a D2 school – the ticket sales are important but do not exceed the Vendors and Media. For a D2 or D3 school and even some D1 schools the ticket sales may contribute a good share on monies. I forgot that share and you did correct me – for the sake of those schools who do not get into NCAA tournaments and for the D2 or D3 schools, ticket sales are important especially if the school is large enough to have a good venue. I did not say that the Bballers worn Adidas – but no denying that Adidas has a foot-in at Georgetown – enough so that the students protested the monies received by Georgetown from Adidas. News is news.

• merkinworld says:

The truth hurts.

13. WCAL Alum says:

As I indicated before, congratulations to a young man with potential and strong academic background. All played a part in accepting a scholarship to Georgetown. However, his recruitment and ultimate acceptance is more from a body of work playing for AAU DreamVision that his prowness at Drucker Court. If SI supporters want to take credit for that, good for them.

Is that wrong? Not necessarily-bottom line a young man is getting his college education paid for (who wouldnt wish him the best for that). Make the most of the opportunity.

14. merkinworld says:

JB, why do you delete my posts? Do you not want to here the truth?

Because you are trying to state your opinions as fact, without any evidence to back it up.

• merkinworld says:

Jb, If sd31 plays his senior year at SI, I will donate $500.00 to sfpreps or the charity of your choice.

I would hope you would consider making that donation based on our value to the community and high school athletes in the City, rather than wagering it on the decision of a teenager.

• SF_Mikey says:

First off there’s nothing like a SD31 thread to spike traffic on sfpreps….

Secondly Merkin I think your monies safe (unfortunately for sfpreps.com / charities)…

• Roll Cats says:

@merkin Sarcasm does not come across as easily when you type something because you didn’t really use any particular tone in your one sentence that would have led readers to believe you were being sarcastic.

@SF_Mikey I would bet on SD31 staying at SI next year, especially now that his scholarship is locked up. If he were looking to promote himself even more, I wouldn’t say Findlay was out of the question. However, he’s attending a Jesuit school now, has a scholarship to a Jesuit school, and is an incredibly intelligent young man.

Domingo has the combination John Thompson is looking for, and as the scouts have said, he will continue to develop throughout college and possibly even the pros (see Maxpreps press release).

What’s lost here is that JB is again providing us with valuable coverage about a city athlete going to a D1 program. A talent of this magnitude hasn’t come out of San Francisco in recent memory, and it’s awesome to have Sanfranpreps around to cover this for us. Thanks for the hard work SFP, keep it up!

• SF_Mikey says:

I certainly hope he stays at SI next year as I truly enjoy watching boy’s WCAL basketball – the level of the play league is phenomenal as are the rivalries and SD31 only adds to the quality of play in the league. SD31’s comment in a Mitch Stephens article in the last week seemed very non-committal when asked whether he was coming back to SI for his senior year. For selfish reasons I hope he returns to SI as a fan of WCAL basketball. By all accounts he’s a smart young man so I am sure that he’ll do what he deems is best for him and his family and I respect him for whatever decision he makes.

15. Doc Holliday says:

congrats to all who are blessed to recive a D1 schloarship they dont come to offten anymore to city kids, like it did in the 70s and 80s when iplayed . All i can add is work hard you are going back east they take the game very serious.

16. Uncle Frank says:

JB: Sorry, I didn’t see this thread. I should have posted my comment here.

Congrats to Domingo. He got the contract he has been playing for. Word out of 37th Ave. is that he will not transfer and he will stay at SI for his senior year, but he won’t play any sports next year.

I think that would be an unfortunate precedent, but it is the new world we live in where the value of high school athletics has less to do with playing for your school and more to do with presenting yourself to college recruiters.

• City Lights says:

That sounds ridiculous. Not play any sports?! What does that even mean? Does it mean not playing for your HS team and just playing AAU? If that ends up being true (which I doubt heavily) it would reflect very very poorly on Mr. Domingo. He seems like a good smart kid. No way he just disses his teammates like that.

• @SA says:

Coaching matters! I’m sure he’d play if Phil Galvn, Rich Forslund, Don Lippi or Joe Skiffer were coaching. Don’t blame Domingo if he leaves or chooses not to play.

• City Lights says:

I watched SI play on numerous occasions. The offense was centered around Domingo’s 3-pointers. He always had the green light. He missed heeecka shots. How is that coaching? Don’t ask me not to blame Domingo if he in fact does what is being inferred in the initial post. What has Domingo asked for that he hasn’t received?

Why do parents, uncles, hangers-on, and even the players themselves (that “don’t read the message boards” – yeah right) always look to blame someone else? Yeah Reardon needs to upgrade his offense, it is antique at times, but he isn’t garbage. I watched him beat Forslund for the CCS title one year in an extremely well coached game.

I stand by what I said. I think Domingo is bright and talented. If he stays at the school and leaves his TEAM out in the cold, it would reflect very poorly on him and his “handlers.”

• @SA says:

Think about this… SI brought in a quarterback coach with NFL experience and they hired former USF Junior Don’s coach Greg Revelli to asst. coach baseball (8 of the 9 starter were former Junior Dons players). Not surprisingly, both teams won CCS D3.

The rumors keep changing every day. First, SD31 was transferring to Findlay Prep or Bishop Gorman, now he’s staying at SI and not playing basketball? Next thing you know, people will say he will forgo college and take his talents to Italy or Russia, so he can submit his name for the 2014 NBA Draft.

17. @SA says:

Coaching matters. Ask the 6′-4″ transfer going to SHCP or the 6′-7″ transfer going to Stuart Hall why they didn’t look at SI. It reflects poorly on the SI coaches, not Domingo.

• Johnny Drama says:

First, Forslund and Lippi are in a class by themselves, along with Allocco. Although promising, Skiffer just started. Galvan may be very knowledgable but his HS resume only includes Convent (light entertainment). Please correct me if I am wrong abot Galvan.

I don’t believe he’ll be back, but for different reasons.

When Reardon had the players, he beat Forslund head to head a few times. While I agree that coaching matters, players matter more.

Please expound upon the 6’4 transfer to SHC, I’m curious, haha. Good for them, they do what they need to do. And maybe they didn’t look at SI because they had no shot at getting in academically, hence they transferred to the SH’s.

18. City Lights says:

I think SHC will reload quick with the new 30-day transfer rule.

19. RC Cola says:

Domingo should look down Ocean at this great institution on Phelan Avenue…

… and not City College!

Yes someone enlighten me, who’s the 6’4 SH transfer? And is he 6’4 or thats according to the team magazine which inflates heights by 2″ and weight by 30 lbs??

This is a very small sample size of 2 or maybe 3 but SH doesnt have this type of degree of student athletes transferring out. There are transfers like fresh/sophs leaving but not juniors/seniors leaving. SI notably with Whitehead and possibly Domingo, and Riordan with Kately…. what can I say? Kids love to be at SH.

• IC Stars says:

Don’t forget Dior Lowhorn (sp), he quit Purpleville too. Also, I saw that transfer to SHC. I’d say he’s 6’4″. Don’t know who he is though.

• Chris says:

I agree, Ari. SHC is a good school. I know the 2015 class is pretty good in basketball. Do we know of any potential student athletes coming from 2016 that will create a buzz in football or basketball? For basketball i am talking 6’5 or taller?

• ARHS Stats says:

I can remember at least one player transferring from SHC to SI in the last 10 years.

Maybe Ari or IC can supply the name?

• IC Stars says:

I remember that guy but I don’t recall the name.

SH had a freshman named RT Knauf. 6’0 ft guard guy, beefy guard that was on varsity but SH was very mediocre and he was definately not the difference maker that he and SH had hoped.. He bounced to DLS after freshman year but wasnt anything there either.

• Johnny Drama says:

Regarding the aforementioned kids, only one has officially left and if they both leave, they left for schools that are traditionally hoop powers. So, ball players leave SI to play major D1 and kids stay at SHC and go to mid/low major conferences. How do you like that spin!

22. M Air J says:

Kately graduated from Riordan, I believe you may be referring to Dior Lowhorn whom I believe transferred as a junior.

thanks for the correction… youre right it was Lowhorn.

as far as future baskbetabll classes, because of new playoff rules, it will be harder for SH to add to the trophy case as they’ll be moved up to open division. but i love a great competitive game more than beating up PAL teams in CCS.

I don’t think SHC will be in the Open Division next year unless they surprise alot of people next year with a 20 win season. The way the Open Division is set up, I think the CIF hand-picks the teams who will be in the Open Division. I doubt the CIF would want a 5th place team in the Open Division, which SHC looks to be heading to next year. If SHC finishes at least 2nd in the WCAL, I think they will make the Open Division. I think the Open Division will be mostly private schools, and Sheldon could be placed in the D1 division, so they won’t have to play Mater Dei for the championship again. Mitty vs Mater Dei in Open Division would be a great game.

Mitty v MD wouldve been an awesome game this year. Next year if they do meet for Open Division State title, the talent would not be as great as this year… Gordon is the only returning starter, although next year’s PG, Conor Peterson is an absolute D1 stud. MD will be missing Reinhardt and X. Johnson. Their equal to Gordon will be Stanley Johnson. Not sure what else they have but its MD so they probably reloaded.

I hope the Nor Cal final will be Salesian and Mitty. I want to see the two best arguably in the whole state go toe to toe (Bird vs Gordon). Is it hoops season yet?!?!?!

• IC Stars says:

Wanna take bets on that “5th place” business?

predicted 2012-2013 finish
              1. Mitty
              2. Serra
              3. Bellarmine
              4. SH
              5. SI
              6. St. Francis
              7. Valley Christian
              8. Riordan

Cant see anyone knocking off Mitty unless Domingo sweeps the leg.

• ARHS Stats says:

Unless you know something, I don’t, there is no way Sacred Heart will finish in 4th place in league.
                And I mean about the something would be Sacred Heart and Cathedral splitting up the school into 2 schools.

Since the name of the school is Sacred Heart Cathedral, not Sacred Heart.

Archbishop Riordan has finished in last place in the League Round Robin only once in the history of the West Catholic Athletic League. There are usually one or more teams behind Riordan after the Round Robin Schedule has finished.

Sacred Heart Cathedral has finished in last place in the League Round Robin at least two times (1994 & 1999)

• @SA says:

I think you nailed next year’s rankings, though if SI’s only returning starters are Dunbar and Waters, they’re going to need to pick up the tempo or they’ll finish in 6th place for the 3rd year in a row.

• IC Stars says:

Yeah, maybe second is more like it.

• ARHS Stats says:

Sorry, Ari has his facts wrong as usual.

Marquise Kately graduated from Riordan

Dior Lowhorn transferred after his Sophomore year.

The only impact player who transferred out of Riordan after playing 2 seasons of Varsity Basketball is David Hector, who transferred to Balboa for his Senior Season.

Riordan has had only three players, who have Career Stats playing for the Riordan Basketball team, who transferred after their Junior Season.

And only 6 players transferred out of Riordan after scoring 100 points. There are 214 players listed on the Career Stats that I maintain for Riordan. 3 of those player’s transferred out after their Freshman or Sophomore Season.

Note: Player’s have to score 100 points before being included on the Career Stats list, unless they hold top season mark.

Pat, thats why its called a prediction!!!! from a subjective commenter. How about this? I guarantee you that SH will have better league record than your AAA level Crusaders. Go concentrate on collecting your worthless stats for your bottom feeding team.

Pat’s stats are anything but worthless. They make my job a heck of a lot easier.

• ARHS Stats says:

SH will not have a better WCAL league record than Riordan, since Stuart Hall does not play any WCAL league games.

The only SH in San Francisco is Stuart Hall.

SHC or Sacred Heart Cathedral is not mentioned in your prediction