Football: Mission blows out Balboa to remain undefeated in AAA

By John Baker

Dominating every portion of the game, Mission High School’s football team handily dispatched Balboa on Saturday afternoon with a 53-8 Academic Athletic Association victory at School of the Arts.

Mission senior quarterback Antoine Porter threw five touchdown passes and brought back a punt for another score to lead his squad to the victory.

“I know [my receivers] are special players, because they go get it every single time,” Porter said. “In practice they give it 100 percent, so I know they’re going to get the ball.”

Three of the touchdown passes were to wide receiver Alex Tico, on scores of 42, 47 and 18 yards. The others were to Demetrius Thibeaux (51 yards) and Roy Sauceda (5 yards). Mission only led 7-0 midway through the second quarter, but scored 20 points in the final 5 minutes of the half to take a 27-0 lead at the break.

“We might have opened up slow, but I was just kind of getting used to the defense they were playing [and] the kind of coverage they were running,” Porter said. “Once I figured that out, I was able to pick my receivers . . . and I just hit them.”

Balboa (1-6, 1-3) didn’t score until the final play of the game, on a 19-yard touchdown pass from Eli Smoot to James Woods. It was the only pass, out of 12 attempts, that the Bucs completed

Jalil Burns made the most of his only carry for the Bears, taking it 68 yards for a touchdown late in the third quarter, and was Mission’s leading rusher.

“We started off a little sluggish [and] I thought they did a good job shutting down our run,” said Mission head coach Joe Albano. “And then we were able to get some good deep balls on them. That helped us out a little bit.”

Even when Mission (5-2, 4-0) called off the dogs offensively, their defense and special teams kept adding to the tally. With 9:40 left in the game, Porter took a punt back 70 yards for a score, and on the ensuing Balboa possession, Mission’s London Reynolds returned an interception 51 yards for a score to put his team up 53-0.

“Everyone just did a good job doing their assignments,” Albano said. “That’s what defense is really about.”

The Mission defense also caught a break in the second quarter, when Balboa’s standout running back Antoine Crecy went down with an apparent knee injury and left the game after carrying the ball just six times for 33 yards.

“Once that happened, we were able to settle back [in] a little bit, because he was getting some yards in the beginning,” Albano said.

With Crecy out, running back Will Barnett provided the bulk of Balboa’s offense, tallying 84 yards on 17 carries.

Scoring Summary

First Quarter
M: 0:56 – Alex Tico 42-yard pass from Antoine Porter (Peter Lee kick)

Second Quarter
M: 4:28 – Demetrius Thibeaux 51-yard pass from Porter (Lee kick)
M: 1:10 – Tico 47-yard pass from Porter (conversion failed)
M: 0:04 – Sauceda 5-yard pass from Porter (Lee kick)

Third Quarter
M: 3:11 – Tico 18-yard pass from Porter (Lee kick)
M: 0:23 – Jalil Burns 68-yard run (kick failed)

Fourth Quarter
M: 9:40 – Porter 70-yard punt return (kick failed)
M: 7:00 – London Reynolds 51-yard interception return (Lee kick)
B: 0:00 – James Woods 19-yard pass from Eli Smoot (Smoot run on conversion)

1. Iforgotmyname says:

Boom boom boom. Guess it’s Missions time now. Washington isn’t the same program it was with Jetton, Gevandian, Hall, Mchenry . Lowell can put up a fight but ehhhhh. Do I smell a repeat?

2. AlumJets says:

Wait a minute, Why did Mission change their PAT kicker again? I liked the old one as he was pretty consistent. This is like the third change this year.
    Anyways….. Mission seems like a force to be reckoned with Porter looking like the MVP.
    Lincoln vs Mission will be a great game, maybe as good as SH vs SI. I do not which team is better at this moment, but that game will show us.
    Go SF sports!

3. Jamesfootball says:

the Mission coach should put Jalil Burns in at running back more if he made a touchdown the only & first time he went in at running back during the game he has more rushing yards then both the running backs that were in the game

4. Alumni Ric says:

As a Bal Alum, this is inexcusable! Balboa is not even competing! Sad to think how low this program has gotten especially when I remember how dominate we were in the 70’s. Good luck to Mission though! Talk about a program revived, finish the job Mission. Meaning, no playoff chokes like you have in the past!

5. Feel The Pain says:

Balboa had a great team in 1977 winning Turkey Day, with David Hill at QB (Purdue) and James ‘Boots’ Davis (U. of Washington) anchoring the defense. Great athletes at every position, with lots of D-1 talent. Those were the years!

6. AirWings says:

This was not only a Offensive game but Defensive aswell. I’m starting to see the Recieving core get more and more publicity for Mission. They gave great skill coming from out of Alex Tico and Demitrius Thibeaux and I would love to see them make it to college in the long-run. You gotta give Antoine Porter alot of credit because he know’s how to extend plays and just throw it out there with trust behind his receivers. The DB’s aswell need credit along with the Offensive and Defensive ling for Mission. Alot of talent coming out of Mission which is why I personally think they will have T-Day, but I won’t count Lincoln out of it.

7. D-reck58 says:

I cant wait to see yall at T-day

8. D says:

i will say that balboa was successful in stopping mission rush attack, but that play action pass killed them at the end of the day