Saturday Scoreboard

Scores will be updated as they are sent in. Please send in your scores to contact@SanFranPreps.com or call them in to (415) 251-0918. The score phone line is open 24 hours a day.

Game of the Day – Riordan vs. Moreau Catholic boys basketball: Far from the main course of the Catholic School Winter Classic at Cal State East Bay, the undefeated Crusaders should still get test from the Mariners and their trio of fantastic freshmen. Entering the week, Moreau’s top three scorers were freshman, led by 6-foot-5 wing Oscar Frayer, at 14.6 points per game. For live updates on this game, follow us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/SanFranPreps.

Non-league boys basketball tournaments
Encinal (Alameda) 55, Lincoln 48 @ Mel Goode Tournament (Yuba City)
Windsor 75, Washington 53 @ Brett Callan Tournament at Casa Grande (Petaluma)
Amador (Sutter Creek) 57, Lowell 46 @ Piedmont Holiday Invitational
Placer (Auburn) 74, Marshall 51 @ Rail City Classic (Reno, Nev.)
Merced 70, Burton 47 @ Luis Scattini Tournament at Palma (Salinas)
Gateway vs. Berean Christian (Walnut Creek) @ Piedmont Holiday Invitational, Noon

Non-league boys basketball
Riordan 79, Moreau Catholic (Hayward) 63
Tamalpais (Mill Valley) 52, Balboa 31
Menlo (Atherton) 61, Mission 59
Stuart Hall 77, Leadership 32
De Anza (Richmond) 60, ISA 20
Carlmont (Belmont) 56, International 26
San Leandro 69, Sacred Heart Cathedral 66

Non-league girls basketball
Sacred Heart Cathedral 73, Washington 27

Non-league boys soccer
Mills (Millbrae) 6, Riordan 1

1. SF_Mikey says:

Riordan looked pretty good today with Geru dribbling circles around the Moreau Catholic defenders all game. The freshmen from MC looked good especially Frayer.

I also caught the St Francis game. Frankly, I came away less than impressed by the Lancers but possibly that has something to do with St Mary’s who have a few decent players. Regardless I don’t see St Francis winning many games league games.

So St Francis looks down this year? and Mitty lost by 20, so that bodes well for City schools. Mitty is beatable.

• Cat in the Hat says:

Of course Mitty is beatable… by nationally ranked teams. lol

Serra might get em but I’m certainly not holding my breath for the City schools to knock them off. Not even by what appears to be a surgical Riordan juggernaut.

2. Don L. says:

Girls Basketball: Balboa Varsity routed Leadership by a fairly large margin (for the Bal fan). I’ll leave the score out.

3. Don L. says:

Side note on Balboa Varsity Girls: First time seeing them today and they will be a factor in the AAA. They are not deep but their top five or six is pretty good. The senior (at least I think she’s a senior) Asian point guard (whom I remember from her freshman year) is solid. She would be a player on most of the other AAA teams yet I give her credit for sticking it out with Balboa which has been up and down.

The AAA girls basketball teams seem to be improving as a whole. Lowell and Galileo seem to be the leaders of the pack. I haven’t seen Washington but they are always in the thick of things. Lincoln’s got some players too. But the other teams are also getting there. I saw Mission and while they don’t challenge for the league title, the coach has done a GREAT job in getting a program together. Mission is not that fast but they got some guards and some big bodies to throw around.

Burton seems to be doing well and like I said above, I like what Balboa has. Balboa has some guards and I like their taller girls. One of their taller lanky girls (Latina or White) was blowing a lot of shots. One of their African American girls is raw but has some impressive athleticism.

Marshall hasn’t played a lot of games but has a win. I feel bad for my alma mater Wallenberg. They struggled to even get enough players for varsity. They may struggle a bit in a league that is improving.

The good thing for Wallenberg is at least they’re fielding a team. You are correct, the AAA girls bball teams are improving as a whole and if we can get the majority of the schools (preferrably all) to field teams, then the league can continue to move in a positive direction.

4. Paul B. says:

Once again, there’s a good chance that I may not report the score from the Gateway boys hoops team in time because I can’t find it.

5. wcalsf says:

Any details on the SHC game? This Irish team looks to be in the hunt this season.

Didn’t go to SHC game, but they lost to 3 to San Leandro and I think SL beat Deer Valley who has a DUKE recruit and another D1 point guard, so SHC must’ve lost to a very good team.

• SF_Mikey says:

While Marcus Lee 6-9 will be playing for Calipari in Kentucky next year by what I’ve read their senior Guard Kendall Smith has been their best player / scorer at least early in the year. Deer Valley beat Serra 53-48 in the De La Salle tournament a few weeks ago so they’re no slouches.

It says a lot that SHC played San Leandro tough. I was really expecting SHC to struggle this year with their terrific trio of seniors moving on. I haven’t seen SHC play this year though so it’s tough to gauge them against other WCAL teams. They open at Serra then host Bellarmine so we’ll see how good they truly are after the first week of league play.

Mitty didn’t look good at all last night and while Serra looked solid they don’t have a lot of size other than Caruso so I think they are vulnerable if Caruso gets in foul trouble.

WCAL Preseason Predictions:

1. Mitty (too much Aaron Gordon)
        2. Riordan (extremely deep team when transfer are eligible – will wear down opponents)
        3. Serra (probably second best team in league with Caruso / Biggins)
        4. Bellarmine (toss up with SHC for fourth)
        5. SHC (fundamentally sound / gritty)
        6. SI (better than last year w/o SD31)
        7. St Francis (decent team albeit with limited athleticism)
        8. Valley Christian (lose by 8 to B’game)

A portion of this comment has been edited.

• Cat in the Hat says:

San Leandro is a very good team. While this bodes well for an amazing SHC-ARHS matchup, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about the Cats getting beat by both.

Transfers:
      ARHS = 6
      SHC = 3?
      SI = -3 :(

• IC Stars says:

Haven’t seen them play yet. Nice if they’d play a few home games in pre-season.