Boys Basketball: Galileo stuns Lincoln to pull into first-place tie

Galileo senior guard Brion Gregerson drives to the basket against Lincoln on Thursday at Galileo Academy. (Photo by Clarivel Fong)

The public-school gyms in San Francisco are more utilitarian than they are glamorous and that makes winning on the road that much tougher in the Academic Athletic Association.

The Lincoln boys basketball team became the second league opponent in just over a week to find out how hard it is to win at Galileo on Thursday, dropping their first AAA game of the season to the Lions 49-48 in the Marina District.

Galileo’s court is at least 15 feet shorter than regulation size and the Lions (12-8, 7-1) used that advantage to smother the previously-undefeated Mustangs’ (11-12, 7-1) frontcourt for much of the first half, but Lincoln roared back to take three separate leads in the fourth quarter.

Lincoln led by two points with 27 seconds remaining, but the Lions had the ball and a hot shooter.

On an inbound play under the Lincoln basket, Galileo senior guard Jacob Glasov peeled off of a screen on the left wing, found space and nailed a three-pointer with a Lincoln defender closing on him quickly.

“That wasn’t coaching,” said Galileo head coach Jeremy Lee. “That was players making plays. Big players step up in big moments and I couldn’t be happier for him and more proud.”

Galileo senior guard Jacob Glasov goes up for a layup against Lincoln on Thursday at Galileo Academy. (Photo by Clarivel Fong)

The clutch three-pointer was the third long-distance strike by Glasov in the final quarter and the senior finished with a game-high 15 points.

“The defender was right there and I just had to get a little bit higher than usual,” Glasov said of his final shot. “Coach sets up good plays for us and puts us in a position to succeed.”

Glasov’s shot was the final score of the game, but it was far from the dagger.

Lincoln turned the ball over on the next possession, but instead of waiting to wind the clock out, the Lions pushed the ball up the court, missed a shot with 12 seconds left and junior guard Khalil Rodriguez got the ensuing offensive rebound. Rodriguez immediately followed the rebound with a shot in the lane and was fouled in the process, but missed both free throws and Lincoln got the ball back with 9 seconds remaining.

With the gym in an uproar, junior forward Davion Telfor appeared to sink a running, 25-foot jump shot to give the Mustangs the win, but Lincoln head coach Matt Jackson called a time out well before – with 7 seconds left – but most of the players on the floor were not aware of the stoppage.

Lincoln still had a final opportunity, though, and after the timeout, put the ball back into Telfor’s hands. Isolated on the perimeter, Telfor worked into the key, but was immediately triple-teamed by the Galileo defense and missed his turnaround jump shot as time expired.

The final play exemplified Galileo’s defensive strategy throughout – to limit Telfor and fellow Lincoln junior Seth Snoddy by sagging off the Mustangs’ perimeter players and clogging the lane, frequently double-teaming the post players.

“We played the same defense [on the last play] that we played the whole game – make them come to us and make them make tough shots over multiple defenders,” Lee said. “If he makes the shot over two guys or half of our team, we can’t do anything about it.”

The Lions, which don’t have a player taller than 6-foot-2, limited the 6-foot-7 Snoddy to just two first-half points and took a 26-15 lead into the halftime break.

“We dug ourselves a hole early and coming back on the road takes a lot of effort,” Jackson said. “It’s hard to space the floor in a gym this size, but we had to make the right passes, we had to make free throws when they counted, and we didn’t.”

Snoddy’s difficulties ended in the third quarter, however, and the junior scored eight points in the frame to help the Mustangs erase the Galileo lead entirely. While Snoddy and senior guard Demetrius Williams (who tallied a team-high 14 points) scored, point guard Mitchell Lee played the distributor, and had four assists in the third quarter to help tie the game at 36-36 heading into the fourth.

Snoddy finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds, but the undersized Lions actually outrebounded the Mustangs 35-27. Along with Glasov, two other Galileo players scored in double figures and each had a double-double. Senior guard Brion Gregerson and senior forward Chris Lee each scored 11 points and took in 10 rebounds.

“The two things we wanted to do was limit our turnovers and rebound. We rebounded the heck out of the ball,” Lee said. “In both halves we rebounded well, especially down the stretch. It was a point of emphasis and they took it to heart.”

Scoring Leaders

Galileo
Jacob Glasov – 15
Brion Gregerson – 11
Chris Lee – 11
Khalil Rodriguez – 5
Three players tied with 2 points

Lincoln
Demetrius Williams – 14
Seth Snoddy – 12
Davion Telfor – 10
Tyree Marzetta – 5
Mitchell Lee – 4

1. Don L. says:

If there is one thing I wish I could change about the AAA, it would be the gyms. Galileo’s court is way too small for varsity play. I mean, you make do with that you got but it would be good for the AAA to get regulation gyms for all their schools (well, for the ones that HAVE gyms). Balboa is another gym that is quite small.

It’s funny how some of the gyms were build so small but not the football fields. You wouldn’t build a stadium with a football field that was shorter than regulation, so why not basketball? It seems like basketball, it is accepted that smaller gyms are ok even there are recommendations on gym size.

Don L.,

I agree with you. Bal, Gal, Mission, and Marshall have small gyms. I remember when Gal played their home games at the gym in the Presidio and Mission played theirs at the Mission Rec Center. I don’t know why the AAA changed this, but these schools need to upgrade their gyms. In defense of Marshall, it used to be a middle school and was converted into a high school. However, Bal, Gal, and Mission are three of the oldest schools in the City, so I don’t understand why their gyms are so small and have yet been upgraded.

But, then again, unlike the “wonderful” private schools who have funds at their disposal, public schools aren’t as fortunate.

• WCAL Alum says:

Funds at their disposal? It called sacrifice. Therefore, I am sacrificing personal funds collectively with others for respective a WCAL school of choice AND IN ADDITION through my taxes paying for kids at public schools for facilities and education. Youre welcome. I am sure Sacred Heart Cathedral and Riordan would love to take advantage of the football fields Wash, Bal, Galileo, Lowell, etc. at my expense.

The private schools arent just sitting around waiting for money come in. They earn it.

• Don L. says:

WCAL Alum,

Why are you so defensive on this?

Not to argue, but sacrifice makes it sound like you had “no choice” in picking a WCAL school. You chose to go to a WCAL school over a public school. It’s only a sacrifice (in my mind) if you pick the LESSER of two options.

The City AAA schools have old buildings and old facilities. If you have the option of going to an AAA school and WCAL and choose the AAA school, you are sacrificing something. Maybe newer facilities, better athletic programs, etc, etc. If you chose the WCAL school, you obviously have SOME money are your disposal that you could spend. The only way I could see your choice being a sacrifice if you had to choose between a WCAL school and Lowell (or maybe Lincoln).

The top public schools are pretty good and you could get by with them versus a WCAL school.

As far as your tax dollars, again you made the choice. You had an option to send your kid to a public school and enjoy the fruits of your tax dollars. You chose not to do so. Nothing wrong with it, but I’m not entirely sure it’s a “big sacrifice” short of spending some money on your kids (which all parents do with sports, and other things as well)

Thank you Don L.,

I find it funny that WCAL folks can’t handle the truth about anything. They either get defensive or try to bad mouth us when the truth is told. I guess they paid all that money just to learn how to hide from the truth!

All I was saying is that WCAL schools are more well-off than AAA schools…and it’s the truth. WCAL (and private schools for that matter) are always more well-off than public schools. Calm down!

• Sandy says:

I didn’t know there was a WCAL vs AAA rivalry going on? The SF WCAL schools definitely look down on the AAA schools due to the recent dominance in sports and most cases in education. I’m not saying I agree with that attitude but it is the truth that the AAA is treated like a little step cousin. The only way to improve the situation is more funds for the schools and that doesn’t look like it is going to be possible in the near future.

Sandy,

I wouldn’t call it a full-blown rivalry. You are correct that the WCAL does look down on the AAA. However, those of us who attended public schools take offense to their snobbish ways because they fail to realize they have more advantages and resources than we do. We make due with what we have while they are practically “given” things. I’m not saying that they don’t earn them, but those of us who attend public schools make A LOT more sacrafices than those who attend private schools.

In essence, they’re kicking us while we’re down….but it’s easy to kick someone while they’re down….but let’s see if they’ll continue to kick us when we get back up!

Unfortunately, you’re right in that funding is going to be hard to come by for AAA schools. There have been great strides made, but unfortunately, more is needed and nothing can be done unless the money is there.

• IC Stars says:

Not 100% true. The AAA used to be good and competitive in most sports. It’s also not a question of WCAL schools “looking down” on AAA teams but you know AAA teams will gloat if they beat a WCAL school. The PAL teams jump for joy too if they win, especially vs. the peninsula teams. If Aragon beats Serra in tiddlywinks, they’ll act like they won the Super Bowl.

• Don L. says:

Of course IC. The WCAL is the “toughest league in Northern California”. It’s the standard that the AAA schools measure themselves against.

Maybe it’s the media’s fault too but the public schools probably take it personally.

Not !00% true….lol. I think you might want to check the comment left on here by the WCAL people regarding the AAA. We don’t need to gloat. We have more class than that. It will just be another win in the win column.

• IC Stars says:

Well it’s obvious you don’t go back as far as I do.

• Don L. says:

GJC01,

I have a feeling it’s money. Even Wallenberg has to rent out Kezar. This is a sacrifice (per my message to WCAL Alum). The AAA school’s don’t have a ton of money. They could pay for a premium gym OR choose to just play in a lesser facility. I think the schools have chosen to play in their limited facilities.

Upgrading some of the smaller gyms is probably easier said than done. I know Don Collins and the AAA helped with getting some football fields redone (Wash, Burton, Marshall got an athletic field). But upgrading a football field is easy as it’s just term replacement and other things.

Once basketball gyms are in place, it’s pretty difficult to expand them without knocking down walls or other things. Balboa has TWO small gyms. If they knocked down the wall, they could have one big gym adjustments would have to made for teams to practice.

OTOH, Galileo’s small gym is pretty difficult to expand. It’s essentially a room in the school building. I don’t see much space for that gym to be built out. Wallenberg’s gym is small but they have space to build out.

But again, how much would it cost? I’m sure if the AAA schools were to be rebuilt completely, gyms would be sized appropriately. But in the old days, maybe it just wasn’t that important to have a full size gym. I believe someone said that most of the AAA games were usually played at Kezar.

Don L.,

Point well taken and, as always, a thoughtful response. I forgot Bal had two small gyms. I remember playing in one of them back in my playing days. Maybe they can move some of the games to the gym at SOTA since, SFUSD already owns the property and won’t have to rent out Kezar (with the excetption of the playoffs and the championship game). Just a thought.

• Don L. says:

IC Stars,

You obviously go far back if you say the AAA was competitive. Trust me, I know my history. I read the CIF-SF website. I talk to others who played in the AAA back in the old days.

While I love history, what exists NOW is that the WCAL is stronger than the AAA in just about every sport. There was a joke a while back that the AAA is better than the WCAL in one sports: FENCING (because the WCAL doesn’t have it).

To be honest, I don’t really care about any rivalry or anything like that. I never trash the WCAL as I know plenty of kids I’ve coached in CYO that went to SH, SI or Riordan. It’s others who like to have these debates.

• WCAL Alum says:

Not to get off topic. The Lincoln/Galileo game was a fantastice game to watch. The size of the gym just added to the suspense.

2. DG says:

The gym played a factor in the game. It does not do Gall any good when they get to Kezar and will get run out of the gym by Lincoln.

These small gyms everyone’s talking about, is it similar to the one at Bel Air Academy, where the Fresh Prince and Carlton once played?

4. friscopete says: